•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help me pick out a Muffler

jcm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CHERRY-BOMB-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-GLASS-PACK-MUFFLERS/GP_2006458_N_111+1986+200728632+600001787_10101.jcw

I don't know what one to put on. My muff was rattling and had a bunch of holes in the pipe so I cut it off just after the cat. I welded a two foot pipe at an angle to deflect the exhaust towards the front of the rear right tire until I can get a replacement.

I wanted a small muffler that I could just run directly under the frame to the right rear tire since I can't use the old pipe that was bent just so to get the pipe to the rear of the truck.

Would it be ok to do such a thing with one of these "cherry bombs"? it seems pretty cheep and small enough to just weld on and get a small pipe to deflect the exhaust out by the front of the rear tire. Cheap and small is what I think I want.

Thoughts?

Oh, I suppose I can measure the diameter of the pipe I cut off but how long? Does that matter, looks like my choice for a 2" dia. is between 18" and 26" length.

Thanks ahead.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i like the sound of cherry bombs whats your engine size

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I Like the cherrybomb glasspacks. Their other mufflers kinda suck though. I tried out a cherrybomb turbo for a while, and hated it, very poorly constructed. The casing leaked. Just be careful with your heat when welding exhaust.

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
stay away from glass packs, they suck on anything smaller that 400 big block. I have twin 40" x 2.25" glass packs and true duals on a 350 small block and they sound like crap....... you can hear me coming from 2 miles away but they still sound like crap. I am kinda diggin on the flow master 40 series.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
I Like the cherrybomb glasspacks. Their other mufflers kinda suck though. I tried out a cherrybomb turbo for a while, and hated it, very poorly constructed. The casing leaked. Just be careful with your heat when welding exhaust.
They have several other models like the pro which is similar to the Flowmaster 40, fully welded. Choose what muffler you like best, I don't like glasspacks for the most part, they even sound like crap on v8s.

jcm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
if i can get the 'Burban to start tomarrow I might be able to get a clip of how it sounds, it sounds like a 50 foot tall pissed off african honey bee with a small penis complex.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Actually what needs to be asked is: what are you looking for?

A cheap simple solution to quiet it down?

Sound?

Or a setup that resembles stock?

I'd say if you're looking for a cheap solution that sounds ok, go with a thrush turbo (O'Reillys) or a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler (Autozone). They are about $20ea. Weld it off 2' of pipe after the Catalytic Convertor, and put a turn down pipe on it.

Sound....go with a flowmaster or like Hahnsb2 said, there are quite a few cheaper fully welded mufflers. Thrush makes one.

A stock setup can be had cat back from an auto parts store for less than you think. Most sections are only around $20-30. You'll most likely only need a couple sections and a turbo muffler.

jcm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks Ranger44 and BDAB. As it sounds right now I don't mind the sound, it isn't that loud. I am interested in what you say about these pipes Ranger44.

So the turn down pipe? Describe a little bit more please.

I am trying to do these five things:
1)right amount of back pressure
2)cheap
3)easy
4)safe to me AND underside of truck
5)without the muff, I don't mind the loudness, so if a new muff quiets it down, great.

Still wondering about how a bad exhaust sounds to someone?

And thoughts on welding the muff on and then doing the down and over pipe to point the exhaust out towards the front of the rear tire? Ranger44 you probably have the answer to this one.

aeraceranthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
I have a Flomaster 50 series on my 3.0L. Sounds great, not as loud as the 40 series. Its also a 3 chamber compared to the 40 series 2 chamber.

jcm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think I'm just going to get the shortest CB and weld it on behind the cats and take it to a muff shop to bend the rest of the tail pipe and have them install it. How long to these CB's last anyways?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Sorry JCM. Need to check back more often.lol

Right now, I have a cherry bomb turbo muffler with an exit before the tire. Total cost was like $45 in material.

You could either do that or just a tail pipe that extends a couple feet with a turn down straight down to the road from the muffler.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I love the way my 24"ish Thrush glasspacks sound on my F-150, it has true duals with the stock cats there there is more muffling the exhaust than just the 'packs. They are also a straight shot thru, they don't have louvers like Cherrybombs do. When I am getting on it, the thing sounds just like Eleanor in the later "Gone in 60 Seconds", I actually had my brother drive it so I could hear it.

I had just a Thrush glasspack on my Ranger, I did not care for the constant drone of a V-6. A turbo muffler is about right, just loud enough to tell it is running and little else. As far as I am concerned a V-6 should be seen and not heard... right now mine is about as quiet as it has ever been.

Everybody is into something different or else you wouldn't see coffee cans hanging under Civics.

Last edited:

trailblazr81

Reaction score
Go Hooker Max Flow. Flows same as open pipe, is quieter than Flow 40 series during idle and cruise. Only gets loud when full throttle.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
for a 2.9 1 would do a 2 inch catback with a cherry bomb 2in gp tucked up under the bed with a 2 1/4 45 deg. turn down after the muffler if done right it should dump right after the axle

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just checked out those thrush mufflers. They are really nice, and really cheap. The glass packs they have would give a great sound. I'm thinking about it for mine.

Hollywood88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i used to have a bronco 2 with the 2.9 in it backpressure is really needed on that motor, but since you stillhave the cats you should be fine on that. On it i ran a turbo muffler and an elbow leading to a rectangle camaro tip in front of the back tire and it did decent it was just a cheap fix though. I currently have a 97 2.3 ranger. For exhaust on it ive changed about 7 times and now i have a y pipe with a cherry bomb glasspack $17 at autozone and 1 7/8 pipe with pencil tips(had the stuff laying around)and it sounds pretty good to me. Check at advanced auto stores. some of them carry tailpipes pre bent for about $50 to $80 so that might help.

97 ranger 2.3 5 speed k&n filter dual exhaust rear lowered to level out