•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

high rpm's at 55mph

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
It's a Pinto 3 speed transmission that they installed an OD in it. So it's a 4 speed OD transmission. Stock tire height is about 26.5 inches.

26.5 x 3200 = 84800

4.10 x 336 = 1377.6

84800 / 1377.6 = 61.5 mph

If your info is correct, your tires must be shorter than a 195/75-15

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Look here to see exactly what you have:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.html

1985-1994 Ranger & Bronco II came with A4LD trans which is a 3 speed with overdrive added, so 4 speeds total

"The transmission codes can be located on the safety compliance certification label on the drivers door post."
Yours should be a "T"

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Nothing to do with the poster vehicle, but most 85s had the C5.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
You can tell by the shape of the oil pan on the tranny more than likely the A4LD. With the 410 carrier and stock tires and not shifting into overdrive maybe the tach is correct. Also the speedometer is probably wrong. Confirm the tach is correct? Confirm the speedometer is correct? Confirm it is shifting into overdrive? Confirm the type of tranny? Pull the connections for the tranny apart and clean with electrical cleaner and use dielectric grease to put them back together. You may need to change the speedometer gear in the tranny to get the speedometer correct.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm still gonna say tach/wiring. Cause with a V6 if the second ground comes loose (Don't ask how IDK but it happened to me.) That's EXACTLY the way the reading would be.

One question:
Does it SOUND like it's revving that high?

I'm fairly sure it's a 3 spd with overdrive. That later ones (Mid 90's) (5r55e) were 4 spd with overdrive. And very different electrical parts.
Also the only speed sensor I know of is in the transfer case. It has the speedometer cable coming out of it.
It is hard to for me to tell if the engine is really running that high.. I would say yes it does sound like its really running that high rpm but cant say 100% for certain but i will definitely check into it

Like i said b4 it shift into all 4 gears... could the tranny filter cause high rpms
This b2 runs and shifts so good

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I feel like we are all spinning our wheels here, wasting energy. The reason is because the OP doesn't know whether his information he is giving to us is even accurate. I've give the possible scenarios and I have given the math. We could talk until the cows come home and it means nothing without factual info.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
It is hard to for me to tell if the engine is really running that high.. I would say yes it does sound like its really running that high rpm but cant say 100% for certain but i will definitely check into it

Like i said b4 it shift into all 4 gears... could the tranny filter cause high rpms
This b2 runs and shifts so good
Did you ever think that maybe your fan clutch is just stuck in the engaged position if it does that you will think your truck is running at a higher RPM than it really is. Check your fan clutch.

If it does in fact shift through all 4 gears, unless you are running tires like 195/75-15's or smaller you shouldn't be in the 3grand area on the Tach. If you are it isn't shifting right or not shifting at all, 4.10 gears should be giving you all sorts of power but not be putting you into the 3-4k area on a tach unless your tries are extremely small.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I feel like we are all spinning our wheels here, wasting energy. The reason is because the OP doesn't know whether his information he is giving to us is even accurate. I've give the possible scenarios and I have given the math. We could talk until the cows come home and it means nothing without factual info.
Wow so harsh... what isn't accurate?. I'm running stock tires 205/75/15.. I'm running at 3200 rpms at 55mph and my tranny is shifting into 4 gears. I am not stuck in 4hi or lo . It runs and shifts like a dream

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Is the speedometer correct, did you check with a GPS or have someone follow you in another vehicle and compare speeds?
Is the tach correct use a known good tach and compare in real time a dwell tach should work just fine?
Did you turn the OD off at 55mph? Your numbers dont add up!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Your first post said you were doing 4000 rpms at 55mph and you just said it is doing 3200rpms at 55mph which one is it or is this just a BS thread?

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Your first post said you were doing 4000 rpms at 55mph and you just said it is doing 3200rpms at 55mph which one is it or is this just a BS thread?
3200 at 55mph. im sorry my first post wasnt accurate...please please please find it in your heart to forget me...sheesh

I did run a gps and my speedo is accurate.. guess i will check to see if my tach is correct and fan clutch and change tranny fluid and filter this weekend

Im just brainstorming here.. If you think this is a BS thread or your "just spinning your wheels" then please just dont reply at all

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
And you are asking me why I'm harsh?? Give me credit for seeing the inaccuracies as you posted. You also didn't sound so sure about things. Like was said, in today's world, a phone speedometer will tell you how fast you are going. You just posted your tire size, not early in the thread etc. Myself and others can answer some specific questions, but it wastes my time if the info isn't accurate. I like helping, was paid 30 years to do so . . but I want it to be useful time.

Michaelmcvae

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I know this is an old thread but did you ever find out what was up with your trans?