•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

hitch with body lift

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I plan to get a bodylift and i need to buy a hitch.has anyone every took a hitch and moved it to the top part of the frame instead of at the bottom so it doesnt sit so low or spaced it between the frame.. I know alot of people just put reverse lights between the bumper and the hitch but i dont want to. If anyone has pics that would be even better. I dont have a welder so i would buy a new hitch.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you do a body lift, maybe you can mount the hitch upside down, making the receiver part hit between the body and bumper, that otherwise needs to be raised or you're left with an ugly gap?

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah. I plan to make brackets to move the bumper were it should be. I know im getting an adjustable reese hitch for either 30 from JY once i take it off or 130 new. so hopefully it will work in my favor. But im cant really decide if I should go 2" or 3" BL.:icon_confused:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
price difference is what, $5?
If you got the 3", you'll never be stuck with a 2" saying shit, I shoulda done the 3".

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
absolutely 3" can never have too much lift! lol

as for the hitch, you probably can't mount it to the top, as it shouldn't mount to the bottom... most hitches mount to the sides as there's more mating surfaces, and will give a better grab on the frame... not to mention your hitch most likely comes down from the outside of the mount, if it is mounted to the bottom of the rail, so the vertical part would be flush with the outer flat part of the frame, and this would hit the bottom flange...

it is also not a good idea to weld or drill the flange... i would just go to a shop, and have them custom fit one, or go to a store that sells them, and know's what's up, and give them your measurements, AFTER the lift, say, this is how wide the frame is, this is how tall the frame is, and this is how low i want the hitch to hang, from the frame (to clear your bumper) dollars to doughnuts, you will be able to find a bolt on one, that fits perfectly, with nothing more than some drilling...

worst case scenario, go get the one for your truck, and pay a guy in a welding shop $40 to weld it back together for you, after you shorten it...

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the input. The hitch at the jy is from an explorer but its adjustable. And ive already got the part# to make sure it fits. Went to get itand the bolts on one siide rust and cant get it off. Option 2 might be the winner in this situation.

koda6966

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Grind those suckers off, that's a $100 price difference between used and new.