•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

How do you replace lights in touch drive console

colinrich76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Hey guys,

I've got an 88 BII with the touch drive 4x4. The 4x4 system works perfectly, but some of the lights in the touch drive console are either loose or have burned out. The touch drive console is mounted into the ceiling about the rearview mirror.

I went to a junk yard today and was able to snag the whole inner circuit with bulbs and all, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into my touch drive console to replace those bulbs. The one at the junkyard was already ripped out and laying in the seat, so it wasn't hard to pull the circuit out from there.

Anyone have experience with getting into this console?

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
When you say 'getting into this console,' I'd assume you're trying to remove it from the headliner, correct? If I remember right, there are two screws located above the lenses for the light in the console. Also, I think I remember the switch popping out if you pry from underneath with a screwdriver but this could be wrong. I don't have the OHC so I've only played with one at a junkyard for test fitting purposes.

colinrich76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I ended up figuring it out, but it really was a pain.

For anyone interested, it pretty much just pops out. From the back of the console (the part facing the rear hatch), you need to pop the left and right sides off of a bracket. What i did was push the overhead console all the way right, pulled the right side down, the pushed all the way left and pulled the left side down. Then the whole assembly can be pressed downward toward the windshield and pops off. This was how I got mine off. I was almost certain it would break and that I would end up finding a better way to get it off once it was off, but I didn't see a better way.

It takes a little convincing, but it'll come off. Glad I was able to get those lights replaced!