•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

How does this spring go on????

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock

One hook into the adjuster, one hook into the front shoe...but darn if I can get it to "look like the picture" in the manual...

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
The piece that hooks into the shoe...if you put it in with the rounded part towards the vehicle the spring sits nice and straight, but it falls out this way (I took the other side off and looked how I did this one).

However, if I put it on with the rounded part toward the outside of the vehicle then it holds in place but the spring is curved.

Just doesn't look right...

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I just did my rear drums today so...I know that part very well.

The small loop with the long arm hooks into the adjuster. Adjuster should be in the shoe towards the rear of the vehicle (has that cable coming off it)

The one that looks like a big rounded bottom V goes into the shoe towards the front of the vehicle. If this is the end that pops out, the trick is to push it in far enough that the end is pushes thru. Or hook that end in first and then pull it over to the adjuster.

I just happened to take some pictures. I'll dig one up and post it.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The first pic here is taken from before any work. Unfortunately I don[t have any pics that show the self adjuster end. I do have pics of the self adjuster just not the part where the spring connects.

This pic shows the end of the spring that goes into the frontward shoe (this is drivers side). You can see how the V part of the spring is all the way down into the hole with the end on the far side of the hole.

This one shows the new spring installed in place. Again it is drivers side.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
The first pic here is taken from before any work. Unfortunately I don[t have any pics that show the self adjuster end. I do have pics of the self adjuster just not the part where the spring connects.

This pic shows the end of the spring that goes into the frontward shoe (this is drivers side). You can see how the V part of the spring is all the way down into the hole with the end on the far side of the hole.

This one shows the new spring installed in place. Again it is drivers side.
So...I think I understand and thought this might be the case...I take a pair of pliers and "crimp the V together" and then slide the V through the hole is what you are saying. I keep trying to "hook it in" either through the back or the front and neither way looks right or like the spring you have here - my spring is either "no tension" or the spring looks like a slinky bent around, but if I were to "crimp" the V together then it would resemble your pic! Let me know and this is PERFECT HELP!

Here is the WRONG way (the way I did it):

Last edited:

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
You shouldn't have to crimp it together and that could potentially damage the end of the spring there if you crush. When in place, that V part needs to be open to keep it from falling out of the shoe.

I did it two different ways. One time sticking it into the brake shoe first then self adjuster and the second time hooking to the self adjuster plate first and then pushing the V thru.

Referencing your pic:

If you hook the left side into the show first, it is possible to go from the position shown in your pic if you continue to insert it past the bottom of the V and then rotate it in the hole until you get it flat like in my pic. The part of the V by the coils is resting on the side of the hole towards the self adjuster plate. The entire V is protruding behind the shoe with the end hooked under.

If you hook up the adjuster plate first, the way to do it is stick the bottom (rounded part) of the V into the hole in the shoe. Then with a screwdriver (large enough to push against the V but small enough for the end of the screwdriver to fit thru the hole), push against the bottom of the V. As you push the V will go down into the hole and when it gets far enough the V will touch both sides. As you continue to push the V will start to collapse a little as it is forced into the hole. You have gone far enough the far end of the V is pushed thru the hole and the V snaps open again when the end is no longer constrained by the hole dimensions. The only part of the V sticking thru the hole is the part next to the coil.

I found the spring tension to be too much to get it hooked with the adjustment screw in place holding the shoes apart. So I left the adjustment screw out until after I got the spring there. Then it was just a pain spreading the shoes to get the screw in there. It worked better for me that way as it was easier to find ways to pry. If you try doing this watch the top part of the shoes as they will move apart and when prying the bottom you want to make sure the top seats properly so you don't end up tearing the rubber on the brake cylinder.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Well, I did both sides this way! Thanks Ab_Slack! Cross my fingers and hope it holds!

Again, thanks - pics speak a thousand words for the mechanical illiterates like me!

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Well, I did both sides this way! Thanks Ab_Slack! Cross my fingers and hope it holds!

Again, thanks - pics speak a thousand words for the mechanical illiterates like me!
You're welcome.

A long as the V spread out again after pushing in it should be fine. And personally I am just a hack at this. Been doing lots in the past year that I never would have tried. I took pics first and when took it apart looked at how everything was set. If I understand correctly yourshad come out so no example to look at.

I'll cross my fingers for you too. Bet it is a relief to get it done, it took me entirely too long!

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Oh yeah, I got them pushed in until they went all the way through and spread back out; on the passenger side it was dark so son had to hold the flashlight for me (the screwdriver trick was perfect).

Yeah, they had come apart after I had a shop fix the parking brake (nothing I tried worked but they did tell me what I did wrong (I had a R adjuster on the L side - still not so sure this is accurate but the guys always been honest so I'll take his word)...just don't know how I could have got that wrong since the other side is correct and I know the long side goes to the front of the vehicle.

Anyway they're in there now correctly as well as those springs - thanks for your help!