•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I6 swap

84bronci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
I have an 84 bronci and the 2.8 in there has given me so many problems. I've been looking into swapping it for a while but now I think I'ma actually do it. After quite a bit of research, I finally came to the conclusion to use AMC's 258 for a few different reasons. So my question for y'all is has anyone done an i6 swap into one of these and if they ain't on this site, where could I find them?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I have read somewhere that Ford considered installing an I6 in the Bronco 2 at inception but that the design (Ford Ranger pickup) wasn't right (I6 motor is too long and would have required extensive frame/body mods). With a torch and a welder I'm sure it could be made to fit......a better V6 (4.0L) or a V8 (302) seems to be what most folks opt for.

84bronci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
As much as I'd like a mechanically "easier" job, the laws in Cali stop me. And on top of that, out of the few engines I have considered, this one seems to be the best for my application and still Cali legal. In all honesty I'll prolly opt for a sawzall and related tools for more precise cuts. And, what's the fun in having a little project truck if you ain't gonna do something outrageous and different in it

84bronci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
I have read somewhere that Ford considered installing an I6 in the Bronco 2 at inception but that the design (Ford Ranger pickup) wasn't right (I6 motor is too long and would have required extensive frame/body mods). With a torch and a welder I'm sure it could be made to fit......a better V6 (4.0L) or a V8 (302) seems to be what most folks opt for.
I could do the AMC 304 and still be legal but it's underpowered for a V8, isn't proven reliable like the 258, and doesn't have as big of a following for aftermarket from my research

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I'm not sure how difficult a task it would be (or if CA would allow it) but a Ford 3.8 V6 from a 99-03 Mustang would be a great swap. Dual intake runners and can put out 225 HP with just a K&N filter, a tune and dual exhaust. The last project I did was a 99' and I would have kept it if it would have had a 5 speed manual.

84bronci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
While yes that would be a killer swap, CA's law says the engine has to be available in a vehicle of the same weight class. IDC about difficulty. I'm putting an i6 in a vehicle that wasn't designed for the length of a V8 let alone an i6