•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Idle Speed Controller Wiring

mcmanoncampus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I had to replace the idle speed controller (Hynes manual calls it the throttle kicker) because when I went to go unhook the plastic connectors they virtually disintegrated on both ends on the connection. I ordered a new idle speed controller that comes with the wiring and connector attached (male side) and I also ordered the female connector that goes to the wiring harness. I went to go rewire the female connector in and the new connector has 4 wires when the original one had 5 wires. Between the new parts the connection fit perfect, but now I'm confused on how to wire it into the old wires when I now have 4 wires to connect instead of 5.

I've attached some pictures to try and help explain what I'm talking about

Picture 1 - The old Idle speed controller with the busted connector
Picture 2 - The haynes manual showing the part
Picture 3 - The new idle speed controller connector
Picture 4 - The old busted female end of the connector (with 5 wires. 2 wires going to the bottom right part of the connector)
Picture 5 - The new female connector with 4 wires going to it

Below are the new parts I bought on ebay for reference

1985 Ford Bronco ii Eddie Bauer Edition 2.8L
Motorcraft 2150a Carb

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Honestly... most people end up replacing that computer controlled carb with a non computer controlled version.

I will post the schematic for that carb in a little bit.

mcmanoncampus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Thank you for uploading this Uncle Grump! I've already rebuilt the current carburetor so it looks like I'll be rolling with this one in the near future.

To be honest, my knowledge of electrical pretty much starts and stops at splicing wires together. I obviously see where the idle speed controller is on the diagram but that's about the extent of my comprehension. Any helpful resources on helping me depict the diagram?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I really don't have any experience with these... at least recent experience that can be helpful to you.

The sister site to this one is "The Ranger Station".

Maybe you can go there and ask the group for some help. Many knowledgeable folks there and some that may be able to help you.