•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

In need of a lock actuator

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have looked everywhere for a door lock actuator for my ‘86 Bronco II to no avail. Everything I’ve found is for an 88-90, and it comes with multiple arms. I believe the one on my actuator is fixed, and not sure what else might be different. I can’t even find a used one online. Any help or advise would be great.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Bronco Graveyard has some I think.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I tried and they do not have any for an ‘86. Also I cannot find any information on what the difference is between the earlier version that is ‘87 and older and the ‘88 and newer ones.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well I guess I’ll roll without power locks for a while. I do have a question relating to wheels, I have ran across a few sets of Ranger wheels that I like but I’m not sure the backspacing/offset will work, I’ve used an offset comparison tool and the ones I like sit about 15mm closer to the suspension components, while the outside of the wheel is virtually the same distance as the one now (prob the 1/2” difference from a 6.5 to 7” wheel). It’s a 16x7 ET12 wheel. Any input?

bronco2_tx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
I have an '87 and facing the same issue now. My passenger door lock froze out of nowhere and I could not even lock manually. I took the old one off and the end of it is different from anything I found online. Went and pulled one off of a '90 B2 at junkyard and noticeably different. All of the motors are the same but it is the linkage that is different. Part number for my '87 Passenger door reads: E77F10218A42-AA.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
There is a salvage yard near me that has an XLT B2 I bought the tail gate off of. It had power locks. I think it was an 86 because it had EFI but had the early dash and grille etc

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Those from the above link are some type of universal deal, I don’t think I’d recommend. I’d like to buy new placements rather than used, there are inexpensive aftermarket units on eBay that look exactly the same as OEM with the same mounting bracket and connector, and have replaceable arms. I can’t imagine what the difference would be that would make it an ‘88 and after-only application. Think I’ll order one and try it.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Could not make the 1988 actuator work. How is it that no one has this part?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Could not make the 1988 actuator work. How is it that no one has this part?
Having an 86... with currently functioning power locks... this concerns me because they don't work forever.

Is it possible the change to the newer latch AND lock actuator.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
That’s a good suggestion, I haven’t looked into it. At that point you could use the 1988-90 actuators, I’m not sure how involved the swap would be.

bronco2_tx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
I found an NOS lock on eBay that was listed for an ‘87 Ranger and could tell from the photo it matched mine. Bought it and put it on and works great again. You will need 1/4” rivets for reattaching and can get the tool at Harbor Freight for under $20. Attached is what it looks like out of door and installed.

Attachments

bronco2_tx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
Yea that is definitely different and based on part number was mfg in 1985. Maybe it was different through late 1986?

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
According to the Ford parts list it is for Bronco IIs “before 11/87”. But there must not be enough demand to mfg an aftermarket unit. Threw my OEM units away assuming I could get them aftermarket, since I could get pretty much everything else. 🤦🏻 Guess I’ll keep looking at the used parts searches…

bronco2_tx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
Yes that’s what I had seen so thought all before 11/87 were the same as mine. They have aftermarket ones with several different configurations but did not see one that matched mine.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
I have looked everywhere for a door lock actuator for my ‘86 Bronco II to no avail. Everything I’ve found is for an 88-90, and it comes with multiple arms. I believe the one on my actuator is fixed, and not sure what else might be different. I can’t even find a used one online. Any help or advise would be great.
I saw one in LMC truck catalog. It says '87-92 but there's a diagram of the one they offer. Hope that helps.