•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Inertia switch bad?

Vstromvoyager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Long story short, driving my 88 B2 to the mechanic to have a new exhaust installed and the truck stopped running and wouldn’t restart. Towed it to the shop and he said he would check It out after the exhaust. He gave me a call and said the inertia switch was bad. He knew I liked to work on it myself so he bypassed the switch so I could install a replacement. I pulled the switch and out of curiosity I checked it with an ohm meter. It tested good, or I should say it had continuity. I put it back in and it wouldn’t start. Put the jumper back in and it ran fine. My question, finally, is why does it appear to test good? Am I testing it wrong? Anyone with an answer I would greatly appreciate it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Those switches have a magnet in them if I recall, and over the years they get quite finicky and will cut off at random times, my 88 Bronco 2 had the same issue, installed a new switch and has been fine ever sense. The switch can easily be triggered by simply hitting a rough spot in the road, railroad tracks, etc. I just bought a generic inertia switch off ebay and it has been working just fine for over a year now.