•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Inline 6 in a 90 B2

Kennyb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soon will be a 302
Any Ideas on what it would take to put a straight 6 out of a 68 ford truck in a 1990 B2 4x4?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I saw someone some time back contemplating putting some sort of strait 6 in one. I recall the person had measurements that suggested that it could fit. Others seemed to disagree.

People obviously put 8 cylinders in BII and I believe to get them in there needs to be some body lift to get space for bell housing/larger trans or other mods to the firewall to accommodate such.

What strikes me as a challenge is that inline 6s are loooong. V8 tend to be more compact length wise with just 4 cylinders length plus some verses 6 cylinders in a line.

Now compared to V8 which generally have significantly more power/torque than the standard 2.8L/2.9L used in BIIs forcing upgrade of driveline components, a strait 6 in the ball park may be okay with the stock hardware but getting it to mate up I don't know how one does that.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I think there's definitely any issue of length between the firewall and radiator.

piperig78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
For
I'm doing a 1978 300 I-6 in a 88 BII right now. It can be done, But its sure not a bolt in swap. some firewall massaging and pretty much get a radiator almost in front of the core support right behind the grill and you'll have enough room. I'm gonna need a slight cowl hood height wise also.