•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Just found a pretty cool video

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is a great video, and I have added it to my favorites list, thanks for sharing. I also like Bronco II's, mainly because I have one too but I think this video is somewhat biased and heavily opinionated rather than based upon facts. Obviously this is a ford forum, but the chevy blazer was not as bad as they said it was. I think this looks like a video produced or sponsored by ford that would be watched possibly by salesmen for training purposes or something.

For example, take the IFS chevy suspension design the blazer "is still lumbering around with," which the video states may not be the best. This suspension design is now found on nearly every vehicle on the market today including ford and most full-size trucks, except for a few purpose built vehicles such as HD vehicles. Although I am happy to have the twin-traction beam system, I believe the design is no longer produced and I think this says something.

The video also states that the chevy is "built similarly to a car," as compared to the ford on a truck platform. Nearly every suv on the market today- even some trucks are built on a "car like unibody platform."

The side wrap-around windows are nice, but they are a lot more expensive to replace. My land rover cost around $900 for a dealer replaced side window and I'm sure my bronco II would be similar if also performed by a dealer. Unless it is performed at home with used parts, which I am sure the price difference would not be as large, if different at all.

I have also seen many of the rear locking compartments in bronco II's throughout various junkyards as I was searching for parts. They work ok if you have stuff you want to carry out of site, not rolling around or in a bag somewhere, or that you want the back passengers to keep out of. They are made out of plastic if I recall correctly, so even if they were latched they could easily be opened. Then again, they are not meant to be a security device more than a convenience.

The full-size spare shown just laying in the rear on the chevy was placed there purposely. It mounts on the left side of the rear cargo area, along with the jack if I remember correctly. A relative I lived with owned 2 of these vehicles with the full-size spare. Also, the spare mounted on the inside could be viewed as a good thing, as it is harder to steal or damage that way and you do not have an additional 100LB metal tire carrier hanging off the back end. I guess it depends on the buyer, as the external tire carrier looks more rugged like a Land Rover or Jeep Wrangler.

There is more, but I will just stop here because I remembered that this is a ford forum...Go Ford!

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'm not a fan of the rear mounted outside tire carrier, but I'm also not a fan of the spare tire just being thrown in the back of the vehicle either to bounce around, slide around etc. These vehicles just weren't built around a common sense base obviously.

The whole "Electronic engine control system in the B2" that in the video was protrayed as a great feature for fuel economy I really hope that was a joke, because it sure didn't help fuel economy, and I can't see where it had any benefit at all it was nothing but a pain in the a** from day 1.

The older Chevy S10 Blazers and the older Chevy K5 (full size) blazers were pretty good, but I wouldn't want any of the newer models past the early 90's. I believe the S10 blazers came optional with a 2.8L V6 as well but if I remember right they were fuel injected.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
that guy has a sweet hair do.....man i miss the 80's lol

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
I'm not a fan of the rear mounted outside tire carrier, but I'm also not a fan of the spare tire just being thrown in the back of the vehicle either to bounce around, slide around etc. These vehicles just weren't built around a common sense base obviously.

The whole "Electronic engine control system in the B2" that in the video was protrayed as a great feature for fuel economy I really hope that was a joke, because it sure didn't help fuel economy, and I can't see where it had any benefit at all it was nothing but a pain in the a** from day 1.

The older Chevy S10 Blazers and the older Chevy K5 (full size) blazers were pretty good, but I wouldn't want any of the newer models past the early 90's. I believe the S10 blazers came optional with a 2.8L V6 as well but if I remember right they were fuel injected.
Yeah, as much as I love BII's and I agreed with a lot of the video, there were some flagrant propaganda pieces in there that make you chuckle. The TTB axle isn't some magic invention that came through and thoroughly replaced the axle setup like the Blazer had. And the computer controlled carb has enough issues to let me know it's not the be-all-end-all.

But the B2 does have a lot of features that I like better than the Blazer. The tailgate is a big one....I like the manual locking hubs and t-case as well. The overall styling to me looks cooler and I think the ergonomic layout of the interior and windows makes more sense.

I actually sat and thought about the spare tire thing after reading your post, and I can't really think of a way you could mount the tire on a B2 that doesn't involve the tire carrier or carrying it in the cab. If you put it below the fuel tank I would think you'd lose too much ground clearance at the back. You can't mount it under the engine (for obvious reasons) or anywhere else under the cab because you'd have drive shafts and diffs in the way. About the only other option is to put it on the grille or the roof, both of which have obvious disadvantages.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The better option would have been a front tire mount like on some of the older Ford trucks. The rear swing away mount would have been ok if it was mounted in a way that it didn't slowly pull body panels off and destroy the rear hatch.

Manual hubs and T-case is a definite plus, I don't trust electronics and electrical systems for that stuff at all.

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I also do not particularly like the stock tire mount. I took it off, but now have a matching full-size spare just sitting in my shed.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I also do not particularly like the stock tire mount. I took it off, but now have a matching full-size spare just sitting in my shed.
And that nice matching spare tire don't do you any good sitting in the shed when you aren't home when you have a flat tire. That's the problem, people get tired of the rattling and damage caused by the tire carriers so they remove the tire and the carrier and now have no place to put the tire so it sits at home while they run errands and have a flat tire across town, now you have a larger problem, you have to purchase another tire/wheel to get back home. At least with my 84 ranger the spare tire was in the bed of the truck on the driver's side right behind the cab. This location was due to having duel fuel tanks so the spare tire was relocated. However, this isn't an option on many SUV's there's already no room in the cargo area and the last thing you want to do is throw a full size tire/wheel back there to take up even more space.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Comments were disabled in the video maybe because they didn't want people like us to comment about some of the problems that have showed themselves such as the feedback carburetor crap, and the TTB axle.
Yeah, as much as I love BII's and I agreed with a lot of the video, there were some flagrant propaganda pieces in there that make you chuckle. The TTB axle isn't some magic invention that came through and thoroughly replaced the axle setup like the Blazer had. And the computer controlled carb has enough issues to let me know it's not the be-all-end-all. .
IMO, the TTB suspension was actually a very novel and well thought-out concept (though where I got the chuckle was that there was a Dana28 in the picture when he was talking so highly of it's durability lol).
Where things went haywire was when people started dicking around with things on it which they didn't understand, then blamed the suspension for the troubles they caused (throw in the fact the aftermarket suspension industry also did it disservice with a slew of poorly-engineered lift kits and then abandoned any further research on said kits, along with the issue of inadequate training for alignment service technicians). Other times it was people not giving the suspension simple needed maintenance (bushings or ball joints for example), and then conjuring up other excuses why the suspension was eating up their tires and/or handling like crap. :no2: All this led to the suspension acquiring an undeserved bad image (and is likely the reason why Ford abandoned it on their lighter-duty models, not because the suspension itself was flawed).
Kindof a shame, because the TTB quite adeptly combines the durability and simplicity of a solid axle with the ride & handling qualities of an IFS such as what that Blazer has. Though it did have to be in proper order to do so.

Although I am happy to have the twin-traction beam system, I believe the design is no longer produced and I think this says something.
Ford still uses Twin-Beam suspensions (E/F-250 & up 2WD, maybe even the E-150 too, though I haven't checked).

Cool vid though. :cool: It's funny how no one apparently knew back then what the meaning "built similarly to a car" would become lol. I want to say it was Toyota's RAV4 that really started the ball rolling on car-based SUVs. :sad:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The only problem with the TTB on my 84 B2 right now is it is in severe need of a camber adjustment to get the tires to sit straight vertically, I think the PO messed around with crap on it they shouldn't have been touching because the road side of the tires lean in towards each other. Other than that I don't really have any complaints, the majority of things I've seen have been posted on TRS about how so many hate the TTB. May not be the strongest axle setup, but the B2 isn't a 1 ton truck and wasn't meant to be either.

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Wow that was great. I assume the video was made by Ford to educate the salesman.