•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Keeps dying when coming to a stop but not idle

Laceyshanell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hello all.. needing some advice. I have a 87 Bronco 2 and I’m having issues with it dying when coming to a stop while driving/idling. If I have it just sitting there in park while idling it’s fine but when I put it in drive if I don’t immediately give it some gas it will die. Will drive it down the road and if I need to go slow or break completely it shuts off. Starts right back up though. Today replaced all spark plugs and fuel filter. Any ideas?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
clean the throttle body, use throttle body cleaner other cleaners can ruin the finish and cause it to gunk up faster.
Clean, check the IAC.

Laceyshanell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
clean the throttle body, use throttle body cleaner other cleaners can ruin the finish and cause it to gunk up faster.
Clean, check the IAC.
Thanks Jerry, tried those things today and it’s still doing the same thing. Almost worse bc won’t even stay on a few mins without dying.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
How did the plugs look when you replaced them?
How dirty was the TB and IAC?

Laceyshanell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
A few plugs were bad so replaced them all. The TB and IAC looked fine really. Think I’m going to put the other one back on. It was running better with the other one really. Think this part might not be great

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
When you say the plugs were bad, how so?
The problem is that there are several parts that contribute to how the engine runs and ODB-I doesn't really give good information.
Some you can clean and or check like the IAC, ACT, coolant temp sensor, and throttle body. Others like the MAP sensor and O2 sensor are more difficult to check and not all that cheap to replace. But you can check the connector for the O2 sensor and see if it has corrosion.
Something you can do on the cheap is to check for vacuum leaks, on an old truck like this there's a fair chance you have a leak somewhere. Since it happens when put it gear and stop it may be the brake booster that has a leak. At idle in park, press the brake pedal down and see if the engine rpm changes.

Laceyshanell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Thanks so much for the information. I am taking it in to a mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully he’s able to figure it out. I am stuck and definitely not good at working on vehicles. I’ll show him this info as well just in case it helps give him some ideas since it could be so many different things.

Laceyshanell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Welp it turned out to be the MAP sensor. Timing was also a little off. Running pretty good now hopefully stays that way

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks for the update and posting the fix.