•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

kicked out of 4 low?

littlefoot

Reaction score
(posted in the bronco ii section as well)
I've recently acquired a bronco ii (1990 xl with the push button 4x4) and everything seems to be coming along nicely. but due to my own stupidity, I only tested the 4x4 and not the 4 low when test driving it.
After purchasing I've realized that it shifts into 4x4, but when I hit the 4 low button the shift motor makes some noise, and after a few seconds the 4 low does NOT come on, and it also boots me out of 4x4. (makes a noise and light goes off). I've read on other threads that its the transfer case shift motors get gummed up and its possible to clean. I'm hoping someone on here might have a more detailed explanation on that, or any ideas what the issue may be?

It was sitting in a barn for 6 years so I really hope thats the problem, Thanks!!

littlefoot

Reaction score
Hi, can you tell me how to upload an avatar?
sure, go to your account name in the top right, and hover your house over the blue circle with the T (for you) the edit button should appear. click that and then you can choose an image to upload

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Greetings fren. You get your shift issue worked out. I see you mentioned it’s your first 4x4. Have you read up on procedure to shift transfer case? There will be requirements to be met before it will shift. Sound like it goes back to two wheel as a default.

littlefoot

Reaction score
Greetings fren. You get your shift issue worked out. I see you mentioned it’s your first 4x4. Have you read up on procedure to shift transfer case? There will be requirements to be met before it will shift. Sound like it goes back to two wheel as a default.
Haven't got it resolved yet, I ordered a replacement transfer shift motor, hopefully that resolves the problem and I can crack open the original and see whats wrong. Any ideas on other requirements?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I have 3 BIIs(2 85s 1 89) but all have manual transfer case.
I believe 90 has a “shift on the fly” transfer case. Meaning you can shift between 2H and 4H while driving but NOT into 4L. To shift into 4L you must stop and put the transmission in neutral ( automatic transmission) or disengage the clutch (manual transmission).
You may find it will shift easier if you are slightly rolling when you hit the button to 4L. Not really moving but just a little wheel roll. This aids in the gears meshing.
Remember to always be stopped and in neutral when going for 4L.

littlefoot

Reaction score
I have 3 BIIs(2 85s 1 89) but all have manual transfer case.
I believe 90 has a “shift on the fly” transfer case. Meaning you can shift between 2H and 4H while driving but NOT into 4L. To shift into 4L you must stop and put the transmission in neutral ( automatic transmission) or disengage the clutch (manual transmission).
You may find it will shift easier if you are slightly rolling when you hit the button to 4L. Not really moving but just a little wheel roll. This aids in the gears meshing.
Remember to always be stopped and in neutral when going for 4L.
Yeah i wish I had a manual transfer case! it's definitely in neutral when I attempt to put it in 4 low but no luck, hasnt been driven in a few years so it might just need to get shaken loose

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Sounds like you’re on a good path getting the new motor. I have seen them gummed up On the internal contacts also seen them worn off. They are a pain when the quit working. I bet the new one will fix your issue. Keep us updated. Good luck.