•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Largest tire on 86 ttb

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ok so I'm sure I'm gonna get shot. Running 35's right now but looking 38's. Really isn't much more in weight. Strictly offroad only and has handled 35's for several years. Guess I'm asking what y'all think

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Well you asked for it, I think you're more nuts than I am. I ran 33's on my 84 b2 for years and never broke anything, not even an auto hub. Perhaps the awesome power of the 2.8 had something to do with it.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I broke D28's on 30's... so yeah.

Do what you do, good luck.. when it breaks go bigger axles

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
I broke D28's on 30's... so yeah.

Do what you do, good luck.. when it breaks go bigger axles
Gotta pay to play. If your buying 38s you should be able to afford a Dana 35 or sas.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Gotta pay to play. If your buying 38s you should be able to afford a Dana 35 or sas.
IMO at 38s, I'd do sas and be done. 14bolt/d60.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Well if he can make a d28 support 35s then a 35 can support 38s but yeah sas for sure

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Well sas is in the works either way. I just kinda figured why not there is only 8lbs per tire difference from my 35s to the tsl's

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Besides I'm a gentle wheeler ; ) lol

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Run it till it breaks then put in your sas

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
on the street? yeah it'd probably be just fine mall-crawling

wheeling? the odds are seriously against you my friend.

I broke a D28 with 28.5" all-terrain tires once.

BTW my 36x12.50 TSLs with the axle in the stock location, the wheels turned to full lock to the right, at full stuff. rubbed the firewall. no amount of fender trimming will prevent that

If you do 38s, a lift, with lowered bump-stops would make sense.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 02 and 06
Vehicle
Ford /Jeeps/Etc
Well, god luck with that taller tire swap. Just run it till it breaks. Gearing will need to be done to get the best performance out of 38's. Less strain on the power train. It will last longer, hopefully.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 98, 97
Vehicle
Ford, Mazda
Engine Size
4.0, 3.0, 2.5
This is pretty funny:icon_rofl: I just got done posting in the Ranger axle section about running 38s on my TTB Dana 35.

Ive been running 33s on my TTB35 with no issues at all. I push it respectfully and it does great. My other truck I just put 35" boggers and a true trac in the TTB35. It again handled those without issue. Im wanting to go up to 38.5x11 boggers on my TTB35. I think that would be the max for the TTB35. 35s id say would be the max for a TTB28.

Run them and good luck.

AgPete139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
You're D28 will still cry on 38's, even if it does last. I don't even want to go 37's on my D35 for fear of breakage. Are you going to regear?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Well sas is in the works either way. I just kinda figured why not there is only 8lbs per tire difference from my 35s to the tsl's
Tire weight isn't near as much a factor as the tire radius is (and the leverage it adds to your drivetrain).

38s on a D28 I just can't see ending well first turn you do on level dirt with it locked in 4WD.

If you've somehow managed to make your D28 live with 35s, I would agree, swap a D35 under there and then put your 38s on that and you'll probably be fine (D35 on 38s = stronger than D28 on 35s).

skyhighranger

Reaction score
Lol don't let anyone tell you that you cant do it! I used to
Run 42's on my ttb for 5 years and that truck saw some
DEEP holes at rev limiter. But I will tell you that having
My truck sas'd is the best thing I ever did and its easy.

Moral of the story is everyone here is going off what they
Read in magazines and saying it wont hold up but you
Really just have to just prove em wrong!!
If its a mud truck why spend money when you don't gotta!
(P.s. save up for a sas) hp front rear=150

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
put the D44ttb outers on the D35ttb and you're golden.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Lol don't let anyone tell you that you cant do it! I used to
Run 42's on my ttb for 5 years and that truck saw some
DEEP holes at rev limiter. But I will tell you that having
My truck sas'd is the best thing I ever did and its easy.

Moral of the story is everyone here is going off what they
Read in magazines and saying it wont hold up but you
Really just have to just prove em wrong!!
If its a mud truck why spend money when you don't gotta!

(P.s. save up for a sas) hp front rear=150

boy if that aint the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

good thing about this place is that there is a real solid foundation of EXTENSIVELY EXPERIENCED RBV PLATFORM BUILDERS

i was suspicious you were looking for some sort of ttb 35 can handle 42's all day long pissing match.....and was why i asked the questions i did, the way i did, about your 302 swap inquirey...

tire type, rolling-balance condition, and actual drive cycle is critical to give advice like that...i am surprised you are getting extensive miles out of a stock dana 35 with 38's....i have seen gently driven trucks survive 38.s but this requires impeccable maintenance of the bearings and perfect driving conditions that dont require frequent hard stops at all. so maybe you drive a small amount of mall cruising quality miles. given what you report i have to assume that.

you say a ttb35 can handle this and do this....that anybody that says anything to the contrary is regurgitating shit from a magazine, which is subjected heavily to scrutiny from its readers with a vast amount of cross sectioned REAL WORLD experience no less... are simpleton idiots that need proved wrong.

well...save for the one in a million literally.... you are wrong.

worse, you are what you accuse others of....

for the average guy for street driven application, the dana 35 in stock form cant handle them 42 inch tires....even a tight set of kevlars that roll very well and true, and yet you have no experience running 42's on a ttb 35 from your postings....a 150 44 appears to be where the experience base is....and a knuckle swap from that ttb 150 for this activity to the dana 35 would be the minimum to deal with it...

PERIOD!

the problem is the intergral rotor hub assembly of the dana 35. a guy that drives with any sort of load or trailer a decent amount of miles per year...say national average...wont make that with 42's safely....

and the tire weight verse out of round of the heavier tire...not a huge problem with a radial, but a bias tire really hurts the integral hub assembly and tiny brakes rapidly for obvious reasons of being out of round till they warm up.....

i have warped several hubs from heat to the point the lugs lose hold and have to be snapped off and the rotor tossed and many times it fragged the wheel too....granted the truck was heavily loaded and i had heavy swampers to boot, but that issue is because of what it is....the work around is to put a different axle in it or the ttb 150 knuckle setup or spindle/custom brake on the later bolt on brake ttb35.... i have never failed rotors or bearings with 33's no matter how shitty and out of round they were...35's is where the issues always started. very manageable none the less...modern radial light 37's would not be a huge issue but any bias ply turns the page on it.

i am not talking out of my ass....or regurgitating some horseshit i seen on another board...i have run 40(well 39.5) inch tires on a ttb 35.....i do run 44 and 42 inch tires on my ranger....i have driven 5 k miles in a month in a half on 42's.....which are typical of 42's....(not the magical perfectly rolling ones you apparently have) and they lunched a set of bearings in my 60.....those same typical 42's on a ttb 35 would be a very unsafe situation from the start on a public road and for sure for stopping at hiway speeds. and would easily destroy the hubs in short order....i dont imagine more then a month or so of typical city driving in detroit rush hour traffic provided you used magic bearing grease and flew 4x4 junkie out to set the bearings up and a blessing from the pope..

for a trailered mud truck that goes on a ice cream or parade run through town occassionally, sure...run what you got and have fun...:dunno: no one here will have a problem with that....but 60 miles at a time to and then fro....good luck with that and some 42's :icon_thumby:.

to insinuate or allude that a ttb 35 can some how handle a 42 for anything else is pathetic...especially when you have no experience with it yourself.... and actually admit a sas to your ttb 150 was the best solution.....and.yet it still has fawked up steering thats worn out and janky......:shok:

but we are the ones spewing untrue horsehockey:icon_confused:... that we found in a magazine?....a magazine that is subject to scrutiny?...much more then most web forums....

hey...some free advice as to your sas 150 if it was not done already...and if its a 1/2 ton dana 44...at least put some k 20 or other 3/4 ton outers on it and put a real steering setup on it that is intended for 42's if it will exclusively run 42 or bigger tires.....

which should not involve simply a 1/2 ton steering box either....emulating the steering from something equipped with 42 in tires is a good starting point for that.

at this extreme, its criminal to make the suggestion you have...you should be ashamed of yourself.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i know the 42 is not the op intent...but tracking from this clown would lead to some sort of 42 support and my intent is to limit the honestly ignorant.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Jeeze bobby. Somebody pushed your button. Couldn't just say he's full of it?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
too much:dunno:

i thought it was worthy of a full of shit with explanation.:icon_confused: