•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Largest tire on 86 ttb

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Agreed. You answered some of the lingering questions in mind for me. ;)

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
I could grenade hubs at will with 36" TSL's on my TTB35. I had to fully weld my U joint caps in to the shafts to keep them from egging out.

If you have the plans of putting larger axles under the truck, by all means get your tires and have some fun till it won't go no more.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
What you do with it and how you drive it has a ton of effect on how it is going to work.

"offroad" isn't very descriptive.

Crawling through soft spots fixing fence is "offroad" and not very taxing on the powertrain.

Rockcrawling with a heavy foot is also "offroad" and is very taxing on the powertrain.

I don't have a locker and don't flog the crap out of my D28 and so far in 13.5 years it has asked for nothing but brakes. It has worn 31's with a V8 for the past 3 years. I have fun with it but am far easier on it than others.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 98, 97
Vehicle
Ford, Mazda
Engine Size
4.0, 3.0, 2.5
Im going to second Bobby here about road commuting with larger tires on the TTB of either flavor. Personally I have no experience with the TTB28 but seeing as its engineered with the exact same concept as the TTB35 id conclude with confidence that results are the same between the two with the TTB28s smaller parts being weaker to start.

I myself have run 35s and 38.5s now on the TTB35. All in the past 3 months but plenty of time on them.

I noticed on the truck I have been daily driving that the wheel bearings are the issue. That truck has 33s still and when they were fitted I repacked all the bearings and everything was in good order to start. 6 months later the outer bearings started to go, then the inner bearings. This truck had 15,000 miles on it since going from the stock 29s to the 33s. Repacked everything with new bearings, rotors, and pads while I was at it. 3 months into it the outer bearings are starting to go again. Im respectful but not at all forgiving on the truck. It hauls 1000lbs at least almost every day all over the place on the highway, through the woods, in the city, wherever.

The other truck ive been running the 35s on is strictly for off road use. I have about 1,000 miles in the woods on that truck between 35s and 38.5s. Not a single issue yet with any part of the TTB35. That truck does not see the road at all. Every mile is in the woods seeing as I drive right through my back yard or across the street to the state forests. Im respectful with that truck but I make it go places and with bias ply Boggers both in 35 and now 38.5 im sure id bring upon any issues rather quick. Those tires are brutal on the truck and rather violent in the way they always get traction and almost never slip. The truck has a locker and Detroit true trac so all four are almost always engaged with little in the way off an out for the power when I get into binding situations.

If something is going to give id say the combo of lockers and Boggers would do it to a stock TTB35 and Ford 7.5 rear. Have not had an issue yet and I repack the bearings every trip out on top of check every u joint to make sure the bearing caps and clips are still in place.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Well I didn't do the 38's but I did go 36 in tsl sx father inlaw gave em to me. So heck ya why not lol. I need to do some clearance mods now. I do have to ask about the firewall issue. I haven't experienced it yet but would spacers help with this ? I got a 8.8 to throw in but need a front axle yet

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I got to drive the b around the other day and ran over a tree. The rear doesn't bother me. I don't think I hit the fire wall. But if I remove the wheel wells in the front. What things would I have to worry about ?