•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Leaky fuel filter

sccarpenter107

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 litre
My credo
Be careful what you pray for, you might get it!!
I have an 84 Bronco II with the 2.8 V6. I ordered an new carb to replace the one on my Bronco because it was done. In the process of changing out the carbs I put my new fuel filter on too tight and to make a long story short, I had to have it drilled out and new threads put in. Now I can't get it to stop leaking from where it screws into the carb. Any suggestions? I have I screwed up royally or what?

donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
carb trouble

just rebuild the old one, if you still have it.

rebuilt mine - it's awesome. a pro told me those carbs are "bulletproof"

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Once you damage the threads and try to repair them on something like that is a 50/50 shot if it ever works properly. Ditch that carburetor and get a different one is the only way to really go.

Also, if I recall there should be an o-ring inside that opening in the carburetor that the fuel filter screws into but its been a while so I'm not 100% certain. Wouldn't hurt to find an o-ring and see if it corrects the leak.

Did you buy another fuel filter after you over-tightened the one you were trying to install? If not go buy a new filter and try it again. They just need to be snug not torqued down LOL. The fuel filter threads should be softer than the carburetor so you must have really cranked that thing down to damage the carburetor body to need to rethread it.

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You could try thread sealant tape. Don't use the white Teflon tape for plumbing as it is not rated for fuel. The fuel rated tape is yellow. I found it at home depot when I needed it for a fuel pressure test gauge. It only costs a couple of dollars.