•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

LED bulb replacement draining battery now?

jjfugler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
So I replaced tail, brake and side marker lights with LEDs and put in the ballast things and the new flasher....now my battery won't stay charged overnight and only hazards work! WTHeck have I done wrong here?!?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I've never ran HID's or aftermarket lights, but to me it sounds like your ballast and/or something in your new wiring is wired 12v+ constant. I would've wired it 12v switched, off the key, just to prevent an issue like this. If you want to find out what is causing the current draw, unhook your negative battery cable and put a test light between it. Don't turn anything on, but if its lit that means its pulling current somewhere. Start unplugging things strategically until that light in the test light goes out, that should tell you where your draw is coming from

jjfugler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I've never ran HID's or aftermarket lights, but to me it sounds like your ballast and/or something in your new wiring is wired 12v+ constant. I would've wired it 12v switched, off the key, just to prevent an issue like this. If you want to find out what is causing the current draw, unhook your negative battery cable and put a test light between it. Don't turn anything on, but if its lit that means its pulling current somewhere. Start unplugging things strategically until that light in the test light goes out, that should tell you where your draw is coming from
Thank you for that, however no wiring was replaced only bulbs and adding the ballast thingy and new flasher in the fuse box. I will certainly perform the test you described. I even took the new battery in for testing.