•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Loss of acceleration up hill above 35 mph

bbadfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco ii
I apologize if I have posted this twice I am new here and I can not find my last post. I have a 1985 Bronco ii 2.8 with the duraspark conversion. Driving down the road plenty of power all the way up to 45 mph then after that it is hard to get any faster. Then a steep incline comes up and the mph needle drops fast and truck slows way down I have to put it in third gear to make it while it sound my engine is struggling hard. Off road in 4x4 has plenty of power its a beast and if I start up hill not in 4x4 in first gear and second it would have no problems.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Have you checked compression? Brakes dragging? Timing off perhaps? Getting full throttle throw? Clutch slipping? Could be a lot of things. Need more info.

bbadfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco ii
I checked compression not too long ago guess ill do it again, brakes good, idk what the full throttle throw is and as far as the clutch I have been suspecting that I have a clutch problem due to a loud rattle noise that happens rarely and if i put it in neutral and back in gear it stops as well as a little slipping in fith gear i just dont use it. But it just doesnt feel like the clutch making it do this.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My first guess, clogged exhaust.
Have you done the basics? Set/checked the ignition timing, changed air filter, checked spark plugs, checked for pressure and changed the fuel filter?
Get a vacuum gauge it can tell you many things about an engine, and you use to test the exhaust. Look it up on YouTube.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd