•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Missing vacuum line.........

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
89 with a 2.9L........passenger side in the engine compartment towards the fire wall between the FI manifold and the AC box is a hard vacuum line that runs from the fender liner (comes out of a wrapped bundle) and runs around the back of the engine over to the drivers side of the engine. It has a small vacuum switch with three ports in the middle......line comes in from the fender liner and goes out and around the engine. The third port was taped over with electrical tape. Is there supposed to be another line going somewhere?

I'm just asking questions until my repair manual shows up. Thanks

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
Yes there is a third line on my '90, from memory I think it goes to the front, to the charcoal canister that sits next to the radiator on the driver's side. Not sure though so hopefully others will chime in. I can check at the end of today.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I did some "looking" today and the canister along side the radiator has two vacuum lines to it and no room for anything more....not sure what I've got. Hopefully when my books show up there will be a vacuum diagram to look at.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
I just checked and I was wrong, that third line doesn't go to the charcoal canister but to the climate control/AC 'box' bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. So to recap, 1 line is from the intake manifold (where the vacuum comes from), one goes into the wiring loom on the passenger side, and one into the AC box.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I'll have to take a look at the AC box......the compressor currently has no V belt so the AC is inop.....

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I see no port for vacuum on my air conditioning box..................

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I wonder if he means air filter box?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I checked the air filter box hoses and there are two and both are connected......looked over the engine bay carefully again and nothing looks amiss except for that one on the passenger side (right over the oil filler cap). The Haynes manual I bought has no vacuum line diagram so I'm out of luck there.

I'm just wondering if that "switch" just got used in place of a "coupler"?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I found a small vacuum diagram on the radiator cowl (almost had to use a magnifying glass to read it) and it shows only two lines off that vacuum switch so apparently the plug rotted and someone just used tape to cover it. I guess I can forget about it and get on with the other repairs.