•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My 4.0 swap

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Nope not swapping the dash (for now) But im going from a 90 to a 91 so everything should just plug in (so im told). So the harness that goes through the firewall on the passenger side is going to the computer?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Then you shouldn't need to mess with the cannon plug. Just unplug the engine harness from the headlight harness on the drivers fender well.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok no one has answered me yet. The harness that goes through the PASSENGER side firewall goes to what? Also I dont see how I can use my existing engine harness if this is a different engine. Why not unplug the cannon plug where it comes through the drivers side firewall and replace the whole thing?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Because you dont need to. Its easier to just unplug the engine harness, but you do it how you want.

The harness going into the passenger firewall goes to the ecu.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok I think i see what your saying now. I will probably end up doing all of it since the wiring from my B2 is very brittle and all the connectors are falling apart. Does anyone know if the master cylinders can be swapped? I dont see any reason they shouldnt.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I bought all new for my swap and used the Explorer as the look up. master cylinder, slave, and clutch line. Keep in mind they changed fittings in 93-94. I ran into this problem. I didn't originally want to replace everything. And the clutch line alone was special order and $90.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well I have an auto trans so thats not a problem. At the least I need to swap the brake fluid reservoir as mine is severely cracked and about to shatter in a thousand pieces. Also does the throttle cable from the B2 hook right up to the 4.0? It looks like its the same but a bit shorter.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No you have to swap the cables. If you have cruise, keep your servo and bolt the 4.0 cable to it.

I wish my donor was a manual. Would have been much easier.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok thanks. I think thats it for tonight. I finally pulled the explorer in the garage so now im in for a weekend long wrench fest. Ill put up some more pics tomorrow. The 4.0 sure purrs like a kitten!

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well today ill be pulling the drive train from the explorer. Its gonna be tight working quarters but it will all be worth it.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well after a long day I have almost everything I need from the explorer. Now its time to haul if off for scrap. Hopefully Ill make most of my money back. Then I will begin the long process of putting everything back together!

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Just an update on my progress with some more pictures. I decided to tackle the axle swap while I had everything out of the engine compartment.

Pulling the donor 4.0

Looks pretty sad huh?

Old and new..

got a new tranny cooler with fan to mount remotely

Pulling the TTB

New axle mock up

New arms on...

More to come...

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well I havent made much progress in the last few weeks. Today I got the stock coil buckets cut off and the axle where i think I want it to sit. I have moved it forward about 3 inches from the stock location. Now I need to order my coil buckets and springs. Im thinking about using some Wild Horses 4.5 inch variable rate springs but im not sure if they will be tall enough. Anyone have any thoughts?

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well I ordered my ballistic fab coil buckets but turns out they are on BO...It sucks I paid 13 bucks for shipping when their shop is like 20 min away! Any way i think im switching gears and going with deaver super flex linear rate coils for the front. Still 4.5 inches though.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The Explorer has a 7/8 master and the B2 has 1".It will work but swap the power booster too.It has a double diaphragm and works better.The reservoir looks the same but if like mine don't change.Once you put on big tires the explorer power booster is nice.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
The Explorer has a 7/8 master and the B2 has 1".It will work but swap the power booster too.It has a double diaphragm and works better.The reservoir looks the same but if like mine don't change.Once you put on big tires the explorer power booster is nice.
Ok so your saying swap the whole assembly? Booster and Master with res? Is this a bolt on affair?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I haven't heard of too many people needing to do that.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I was backwards the B2 has the little master the Explorer has the big one.I have the B2 master with the Explorer booster easy brakes longer stroke really like it.If you put in Ex master and booster stops good little shorter pedal.The Explorer master lines do not fit right in but I think you can change the line going to it.The parts bolt on though.Thats how they stop the heavy explorer with the same size brakes.If your curious check out allenD's stuff he really has brakes figured out.With your SAS you might not need to mess with it cause bigger brakes.I like a pedal thats easy to push.I feel more in control.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well as you said im doing a SAS so I guess ill see how they do. But I will grab the booster and MC before I scrap the explorer.