•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

NEED HELP with removing 02 sensor

NEALD

Reaction score
02 sensor is very tight space. I have an 89 b2 Auto 4wd. Having trouble trying to remove 02 sensor. Not much room to work, cannot really get any tools on it, trans and exhaust in the way. What was Ford thinking??? What is the correct procedure/tools needed? Thanks

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'd like to know this too. I gave up on mine. The only way I see that I could get any leverage would be to remove the cats. Of course they are corroded on there and would have to be cut off.

NEALD

Reaction score
My cats are corroded on as well and I don't want to tear apart my exhaust. Also I have a crow foot style 02 sensor socket that is 7/8" I used on my Mazda tribute successfully, but seems to large for the b2. Seems like I may need a 13/16"? I'm thinking I may cut off the 02 sensor cable and try to get on it with a impact socket and extension from top in the engine bay. I'll check tomorrow to see if its feasible.

Last edited:

NEALD

Reaction score
Hey JerryC that's a good lookin b2 in you dig. Got any more pics?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'll see if can get some posted up tomorrow evening. It looks better in pictures than it does up close. I bought it with that paint job and the interior was trashed.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I put some pics in my profile.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My cats are corroded on as well and I don't want to tear apart my exhaust. Also I have a crow foot style 02 sensor socket that is 7/8" I used on my Mazda tribute successfully, but seems to large for the b2. Seems like I may need a 13/16"? I'm thinking I may cut off the 02 sensor cable and try to get on it with a impact socket and extension from top in the engine bay. I'll check tomorrow to see if its feasible.
did that work?

NEALD

Reaction score
Is everyone here running around with the original 02 sensors? I thought this was a common replacement on these trucks.

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I was scared to remove my cat as well due to the rust and corrosion but it surprisingly came right off! A little PB and the impact did the trick. I was on the trail when it happened (thought the cat was plugged). It worked for me and maybe it would work for you! Cutting wire and using impact will get it out but how will you get the new one in?

Best of luck!

NEALD

Reaction score
My flange bolts are so rusted it they look like they are 1/2" button heads instead of 9/16 hex heads. Lol . Only way its coming off is cutting.

NEALD

Reaction score
Btw, did you mean cutting wire like the boy scouts use in the field as a saw? What method would I use that if so?

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
They make a special tool you can probably find at autozone that has one opening In the hex head for the wire, also if you apply a little heat with a simple propane torch it'll help. Last resort would be to cut most of the O2 sensor off and put a 1inch socket over it. Also upon removal it'd be smart to chase the threads with a tap that can also be found at autozone because the threads might be corroded or mangled upon removal.

NEALD

Reaction score
I already have the 7/8" 02 socket. It is too big for the sensor. I will have to do the other method. I just haven't gotten to it yet. Been too busy on other areas of the truck. :icon_welder: