•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need Some Direction on Brake Issue

CopperHead_Road

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Greetings,

I joined up today and wanted to say I am impressed with this site. I have inherited a bone stock 1989 Bronco2 manual tranny 4x4. It was parked last summer due to the brakes locking up.

The gentleman that owned this Bronco passed away a few months back. I had bought my farm from him last year. I had let him leave all of his hay bailing equipment and the Bronco on my property until he had time to move everything. So he had given me the Bronco just a few weeks before he pasted as a thank you for working with him on this.

He was driving the Bronco when I first met him to look at buying the farm. It is in good shape other then the paint a bit faded on the hood and roof. The information that he passed on to me concerning why he parked it is that it had a leak in the gas line above the tank. No biggie to fix.

He explained that it also started locking up the brakes. It was ok when you first started driving it. Then it would start dragging and finally you would have to put it in 4x4 to even move it at all. He said that he replaced all the brake parts but it still had the same issue. He thought it was the ABS.

I am planning on moving the Bronco to my shop this weekend to start checking it out. I did some searching on the forum but did not nail down any similar issues. I was hoping someone could give me some insight into this, so that i do not waste what limited time I have to work on it scratching my head.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CH_R

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

First thing I would suspect is one of the front calipers is dragging, causing heat.
Heat that heats up the fluid, causing the pistons to extend, applying the brakes.

The common cause for that is the HOSE to the CALIPER.
They tend to deteriorate internally and a flap or chunk blocks the flow of brake fluid back to the master cylinder. Which means that the brake cannot release.

An easy way to verify that is to open the bleeder on the side that has the hottest caliper after driving. If that brake releases, replace that hose. Personally, I'd do both.

That's what I think, you need two new front brake flex hoses.

I'm sure others will welcome you and offer opinions.

CopperHead_Road

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

First thing I would suspect is one of the front calipers is dragging, causing heat.
Heat that heats up the fluid, causing the pistons to extend, applying the brakes.

The common cause for that is the HOSE to the CALIPER.
They tend to deteriorate internally and a flap or chunk blocks the flow of brake fluid back to the master cylinder. Which means that the brake cannot release.

An easy way to verify that is to open the bleeder on the side that has the hottest caliper after driving. If that brake releases, replace that hose. Personally, I'd do both.

That's what I think, you need two new front brake flex hoses.

I'm sure others will welcome you and offer opinions.
Thanks for the welcome and the response. I will check that first when I get started.

CH_R

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Couple things I'd question...

Is this even brake related? As in...could the clutch be worn out and slipping? That would certainly explain why he needed to put it in 4 wheel drive...often with a failed clutch you can make it move short distances in 4 low.

I guess if it does turn out to be the brakes, I'd check the rears first and make sure the emergency brake is released and that the shoes are not adjusted out too far. Then move to the front.

One other thing is the brake vacuum booster pushrod. If it is adjusted too far out, the brakes will be fine for a mile or two and then will start dragging. It will get worse as you continue to drive.

maroon ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 4.0L proje
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Bein a smart ass butt too many beers into the drive that can happen to anyone with a clutch. Hahahahaha just trying to add humor to the situation because I don't have any thoughts as to what could be causing your problem. But on a real note drive it a good distance when you get the chance and relay your own info. Therefore it won't be a second hand reference.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
My money would be on the abs solinoid in front of the fuel filter underneath the drivers frame rail, about where your clutch pedal is,

I just had to replace the whole abs system on by buddy's dodge ram 1500.
Somebody put tranny fluid or power steering fluid in the brake resivor and it ate the seals

It was doing the same thing it was action as a one way valve instead of pro portioning things like it should, also check the wiring leading to that abs unit, it's in a place that has a big tendency to corrode..
If all the lines look visually appealing and aren't pinched or kinked abs is probably the culprit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

CopperHead_Road

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the information. I will be trying to make time this weekend to check it out. I will post an update once I have it figured out.

Be Safe,

CH_R