•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New Alternator Peoblems

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Need serious help with Alternator. I have a 1989 BR 2, 2.9, 4 WD, Auto Trans, Eddie Bauer. Alternator went out. Had a shop replace alternator and my RPMs, Battery gauge were off when I got it back. Took it to someone else and they tested it saying battery is good but voltage drops from 14 to 12? This shop said alternator was bad or the wrong one. Can't use AC as compressor clutch won't stay engaged and now my tranny fluid is burnt and having shifting issues. Went back to people who replaced it and they said nothing wrong with alternator. They did change the alternator but same thing with voltage. I will take it to a tranny shop Monday but I am thinking that replaced alternator is wrong amps for my model and is causing all of issues.

Aside from tranny issues, does anyone know how I find out what AMP Alternator is supposed to go on my car? I don't have any after market add on and the gauge needle never fluctuated before. My RPMS on gauge were always the same at idle and now they are lower. No one messed with any idle adjustment. I need to find out what AMP this car needs and don't want to take it to a dealership. Thanks for any help.