•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No dash lights.

Viperpit07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sorry if this has been covered tried searching. Anyways...
As stated im having dash lighting issues in my 84 BII. The seatbelt and high beam lights work. But none of the other in the dash come on. Ive checked fuses. Changed all the dash bulbs. And tried a new headlight switch thinking maybe the dimmer was bad. Anyone have a particular issue like this. Wondering if there is a connector corroded somewhere that im not seeing. Thanks in advance.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The only thing I could think of would be a bad ground somewhere, but I am not very knowledgeable on the wiring locations in these trucks...hope someone with some better knowledge answers soon.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I was reading in another forum that the gem can control lights and other things. Not sure if yours has one. I'm on a phone and don't see year or 4x4/2wd etc.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
84 B2 would be 4x4, 2WD wasn't offered till 86 if I recall....anyhow the 84 didn't have a GEM, very plain dull boring except Ford tried to computerize the carburetor in them.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have a dash illumination problem also so will jump in on this thread. All the warning lights etc work. The fuse blows (the 5 amp #14 fuse I believe it is) once it's replaced and as soon as I pull the headlight switch out (1985 2.8 manual trans). I turned the light switch off, rotated the pull switch completely to the left which should turn the dash lights off even if things were working as they should. Pulled the switch and fuse instantly blew again. Dome lights and everything else works as it should. Anyone had a similar problem? Will study the wiring diagram a bit and then pull the cluster out to see what I can find.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Well turning the panel dimmer left never really kills power to that illumination circuit. It only dims them... maybe even to the point you can't see them.

That fuse is blowing because you have a dead short in the illumination circuit. I'm including a photo from my 85 EVTM.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Just searching memory Gordy...

I've had the connector on the headlamp and panel dimmer switch get hot enough to melt. Everytime I replaced the connector... it needed the switch too.

Thinking you should have a look there first... even though it's before your blown fuse.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Had a problem with my 85 Bii. No cluster lights for speedo, etc. Changed headlight switch still no lights! Wasn’t popping fuses though. Found when I done my manual transmission swap while changing the peddle assembly, (pulled dash out) found the cluster plug connection was dirty! A lot of dust buildup after 37 years lol! Maybe something to check out! Popping fuse’s does sound like a something grounded out!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
I’m not to keen on electrical, but I can say I’ve learned quite a bit since I’ve owned my Bii!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Never lost hazard’s or turn signal’s! Had no lights on the rear when I got it. Turned out to be a ground wire had got broken. Looked like it was just bad running from the factory like it was pinched! Took a good day to track it down! Anyone having any kind of problems with their Bii just remember, don’t give up on it! When I purchased mine, it wasn’t running! I’ve put a lot of time in on trying to get mine right! Seemed like every time I get one thing fixed, something else would mess up on it! But finally getting it mechanically sound with no worries to go anywhere! About time to start on the cosmetic side of things!

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I got the issue solved with a new headlight switch (the connector seems to be fine). Also the ash tray bulb was blown and was not helping things as the bulb was a shattered mess. As long as I was that deep into it I figured I'd address the dash pad as well so will install a Cover Overlay while it is out.

Attachments