•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

no exhaust manifold gasket on b2?

88blackbetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Had a broken manifold and bought a new one. The instructions said not to put a gasket on it. Any knowledge on this?

JRR1285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know that when I just took the manifolds off of my '84, there were no gaskets. I know my felpro gasket kit came with exhaust manifold gaskets so I am a little torn as well. I can't see any harm in using them, so I plan to use them with copper rtv. I hope it's not a bad idea.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
well the idea is that a gasket insulates the manifold from the head and makes the manifold run hotter. Take away the gasket and the manifold heat can dissipate into the head.

Only works if the head and manifold are very flat. I would just put the gasket on it.......

88blackbetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm probably just gonna put gaskets on it. I've asked a few people including my granddad and all are saying they've never seen a manifold that didn't have them on it. After I get the broken PITA manifold bolts out it is getting al new hardware anyways so if the gaskets for any reason cause a problem I can remove them later. After removing this manifold I hope I never have to do this again although I know its gonna happen some with one of my old vehicles :damnit1:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have an 87 Grand Marquis that I replaced the heads on. I put exhaust manifold gaskets despite being instructed otherwise. Within a couple of months they started leaking because the gaskets cracked and broke apart. I removed the gasket on both sides, cleaned the surfaces really well and put it back together sans gaskets. I haven't had any problems since. (Over a year).
I am in the process of putting together my '93 4cyl and plan to use a gasket since the factory manifold is more like a header.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
MOST times if you use a gasket with a factory log manifold, you will develop a leak. I do not use it normally as the factory did not. I do use some Copper high temp RTV on completely cleaned surfaces.