•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

no power under load

custombolt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
LeBronCo Did you check the distributor to see if it is tight?

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
That's a mess. The problem with these old vehicles is that good diagnostic tools are hard to find, and that leads to the parts cannon being fired.
Now with with cheap crap parts being made you are really suspect on getting good parts. This leads to the false sense of security in that new=good.
If you don't watch South Main auto on Youtube, you should. He's a good teacher of diagnosing problems and drives the above points home.
Worst comes to worst you might tow it to his place, others have.

As for cam timing, getting the cam timing wrong will lose power, that much power? I don't know. A couple of degrees on small block Ford could lose you 20-40HP easy.
on 2.9L I don't know.

Crap MPG is from no power. You push the pedal down the TB opens and the ECM sends fuel to match the TB position. That's how it is supposed to work, but the question is is it working that way?

So we are way down into the weeds on this and I think it is likely one of your original steps was a mis-step with a bad part replacing a good part, but which one or two or three?
Jerry, first thing I did when the truck arrived is check all the fluids and changed the oil and flushed the cooling system. Oil was remarkably clean as was cooling fluids so I assumed he took good care of it.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Here's the 411 guys. The diagnosis done at Keith's automotive in Encinitas is a leaking head gasket and/or possibly a cracked head. This was determined after codes came up for a bad EGR and an intake vacuum leak. Fixed those problems but it still was acting funny so they did a gas analysis in the radiator and found exhaust gases mixed in with radiator fluids. Best case is a complete valve job/top end or that plus a new head. I don't think you can repair a cracked head.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I know didn't see that coming. This is a little above my paygrade so I'll have to have the work done at a shop. I'm looking at $2200-$3000 if I need a new head.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Biggest problem with the 2.9 is head gasket blowing from what I’ve seen over the years!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Sounds like a v-8 or a 4.0 swap in the near future if it was me! My opinion though! Not sure what all you can do mechanically lol! The big question is “Is it worth it?” that’s what you have to ask yourself.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I'm taking my time on this decision

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
If you are like me, can’t afford to drop that kind of money right now! Hard to get and easy to go!