•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No Start on 88 bronco 2

thabroncoplaya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Hi,
i just bought this 88 with a 2.9l v6 and am having trouble starting it. i threw in some new plugs and wires and fixed a fault in the wiring on the starter solenoid. it turns over great with a new starter and i seem to be at least getting power to the fuel pump to prime the fuel rail with a couple psi when the key is turned. the previous owner ripped out a lot of the original wiring and installed a new coil that is now just sitting on the drivers side wheel well. i located through continuity testing what i believe is supposed to be the hot lead from the ignition switch going to the positive side of the coil terminating in a boot right above the distributor near the firewall. i’m holding this wire in the picture. this might have been added by the previous owner when installing the coil but it seems to me i need to find a connector for this that is hot when the key is turned to on. is this how the coil wiring is set up from the factory? and if so where would i find the hot lead to connect this boot to?
so far i’ve been energizing the coil with a switched connection directly from the positive side of the battery, but even with this temporary fix it doesn’t want to start.
i’d appreciate any help y’all can provide!
broncoplaya
C71693E1-6FC2-4E1F-9676-1A2408C78886.jpeg

thabroncoplaya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
I ended up wiring this back up to a switched connection to at least get spark. Fuel pressure is OK now too with new inline pump and filter. still nothing when starting, not even a backfire or a single cylinder running. I've checked alignment of distributor rotor when #1 piston is tdc and as far as I can tell it's lined up and the wires are on in the correct order. Am I missing something? it doesnt even want to fire with starting fluid and i'm running out of ideas at this point. would appreciate any help.
Thanks

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Did you ever figure out your problem? Going through something similar with my 86, may try to replace the ECM.

thabroncoplaya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
yeah my coil was bad and i think ecu too. replaced those and it ran but barely and wouldn’t rev. a compression test showed that the rings were shot so now the plan is to swap in a running ‘64 170 with a big cam instead of rebuilding. good luck to ya