•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Noise when engaging low range

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
I have an 89 bronco 2 automatic trans, with push button 4x4 and low range buttons on the dash. I got stuck in the mud on my property while in 2 wheel drive. I pushed the 4x4 button and then low range button, and heard this growling like gears grinding. I shut key off immediately, and of course everything stopped. I then restarted engine and no more noise, and low range light was on steady. I pulled myself out of hole and drove to hard ground, and both low range and 4x4 lights were solid, and were working in drive train. I then tried to shut off both buttons, and this grinding growling noise re-appeared. QUESTION: Is this a known problem with the b-2 with auto trans, and or has this happened to any others, and if so what did you find.

Thanks for Any Comments and or Advice

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Shifting into 4low requires the vehicle to be stopped and in park or neutral shifting while rolling will cause grinding in the transfer case as well as the hubs if using auto locking hubs.

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
Shifting into 4low requires the vehicle to be stopped and in park or neutral shifting while rolling will cause grinding in the transfer case as well as the hubs if using auto locking hubs.
Thanks for your reply, and you are absolutely Correct! It is amazing what the brain does with important stored information when you (I) get old. Thanks for the reminder. I just hope i did not grind a pound of gear material in my Blunder.

Take Care

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
PS: Actually Park did not do the trick. I checked my Owners Manual and it said Neutral, and that works Great. Luckely I did not do any gear damage, as far as I can tell. The noise was the engagement solenoid chatter, as it was trying to find a home, I Do Believe. Now keep in mind, I have ONLY owned my B2 since it was a baby 33 years ago, so I hope you all cut me some "Old Timers Slack" !! LOL.........

Just a follow up FYI

Thanks Again

Last edited: