•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Official 4.0 swap! 89 b2 xlt 2.9 auto to 4.0 with m5od complete conversion thread and

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I have a few questions.

1) What years and models exactly have the :
*Correct harness
*Computers
*Push rod motors
I keep seeing every one using '90 Ranger parts specifically. This is the first thread I've personally seen mention a '91 motor. I have plenty of early 90s Explorers and only a few Rangers at my local salvage yard so that's why I ask.

2)Can I use a Automatic Computer with my manual trans ?
Sorry if that's posted already..

Thanks

Last edited:

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Yeah you can use a automatic ECM with a manual trans, with any engine swap there is going to be a little bit of work to make things work as at as engines it's pre 97 I belive tjhen they went to a 8 bolt crank instead of a 6 bolt like on the earlier years, for simplicity 90-92 engine and dash harnesses out of a explorer or ranger are ideal although there are pinout variations and connector fluctuations between all harnesses,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Not that I am trying to complain, but you have picts all over the place. Can you re-write this in and easy, DIY format? Such as

Step 1) Undo vacuum lines
Step 2) Undo 8mm bolts on engine
etc....

Include all the picts you took, thanks so much!!!!!!!

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
More questions...
I've read that when doing this swap that some of the components quit working such as the power windows, brake lights ect...
Can you list what features you lost during this conversion and how you fixed those issues ?
THANKS

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Hey guys I've been swamped with LIFE at the moment, just to give you guys a quick lowdown of the status of the B2 and how it fits into this life thing.

I complete the swap about a week ago, enough that it would go down the road and I had headlights.
But no tail lights brake lights ect.

I got pulled over late one night going to work when the cop informed me I had no type of rear lights.
He was real cool n left on a get that S*** fixed soon! Type of note.

So I spent the next 3 days or so swapping out differnt head light harnesses I had the original 89 harness that one had brake lights but no running lights.
The 90 harness plugged into the 91 engine harness great but had problems
And the 90 hh harness ran the motor great but had no lights, in rear and no heater ect.

So I ended up completely pinning out the harnesses and compareing color changes pinn swaps and all the fun stuff ford did between the 3 yrs 89-90-91 to make everything complicated for guys like me.

But like I said I don't have time to document a step by step guide at this moment. I am very busy with work at the moment.
And I promise to clean up and reformat the thread, this is my brainchild, and with the help of all the other great builds on trs, have aquired all the knowledge I need to do these types of things.

If anyone has specific questions on anything don't be afraid to ask or start your own build thread for help, that's what trs is for.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Joe

I ended up repinning a 90 headlight harness and using a 91 engine harness. In my 89 b2
My b2 has power everything
I ended up swapping about 7-8 pins on the 90 harness so they matched the 89 most of the colors stayed the same between those years 91 there are a few color changes at least from my experience.

Right now my notes on the repinning are sketchy for someone else's eyes I have a way of taking notes so only I understand them, like divinci or something,

I ended up losing power windows locks heater, tail lights, brake lights,

Still need to figure out interior lights like the ones that come on when u open the door. And maybe rear abs? Or maybe I just have a problem with the module, idk I'm still working on it, I'm driving it, but working on it.

When it warms up n the snow melts I'll start working on her more, but until then.