•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Oil Level Sensor wire removal?

NETX_S4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
I'm trying to pull all the wires from the engine on an 88 B2 in preparation to pull it out (it's seized up), but this one is giving me trouble. It's on the driver's side of the oil pan, and seems to be integrated with the sensor. There is no apparent plug, release clips, etc.

Steps for replacing the sensor in the Chilton manual say to remove the wire, then the sensor, but it gives no detail on how to detach the wire.

Any suggestions?

tolehouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
There are two oil sensors on the drivers side of the pan, pressure and level, but I forget which is the one right under the motor mount and which is further back. If the wire you're stuck on is a single wire with a 90 degree bend into the sensor it will come off easily. The rubber is just a boot, not an integrated line. The sensor stud it couples with is threaded but doesn't put up much resistance to removal.

NETX_S4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
I think I got the one you're talking about. This is a straight wire with a cylindrical end that is inserted into a hole in the sensor. I did some additional digging, and it looks like it is held in place by a snap spring that I couldn't see (probably covered up with muck). Hopefully I can get under there again this weekend and get it sorted.

1678296043945.png

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
There is only one sensor in the pan. It's the one pictured above and is the oil level sender.

Oil pressure is connected to a pressurized oil port.

It's been to long for me to remember exactly how to disconnect the level sender. I want to say it just pulls out... but could be wrong.

@tw205 will know when he stops by.

NETX_S4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
FYI, I got it out. Just needed to get a better angle on it (and probably cleaning up some of the crud helped) and it popped right out. I was probably being a little too gentle with it before when I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. I'm really trying not to break any of these connectors as I pull everything apart.