•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Overhaul (?) Mechanic needed in SoCal! =(

Moms89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Hello all and I'm glad to see a forum dedicated to these old girls <3

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this sort of thing, but I'm kind of lost.

I just got gifted my Mom's 89 Ford Bronco II. I grew up in this truck and lots of great memories.

However, she's in pretty bad shape. My Mom now has Parkinsons and a few other problems so she doesn't drive much anymore.

The Bronco II, her baby, now turned over I believe for the second time, so I think she's got about 200,000+ miles on her now. I took it to a mechanic where I live and he looked at it. I was told the engine and possibly the transmission needs to be pulled/dropped. It needs at least 3 freeze plugs. Unfortunately he is unable to do this type of work and his recommedations don't either. She leaks everywhere (antifreeze, oil and God know what else lol). She starts (only with starting fluid), engine idles fine, but smokes badly. No power when pressing the accelerator and it dies after trying. I did change the oil and the fuel filter on her, but as far as other service, none for several years.

Any information would be helpful. Thank you =)

I live near San Bernardino, but if I have to hook the girl up and travel, that's fine too.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Being it is a 2.9L... I wouldn't try to drive really with the coolant leaks. They really don't like being overheated. Doesn't seem like you driving anywhere soon with the other issues you stated.

With that many miles if it's a keeper... I would find a reman engine or have that one rebuilt. Better yet... find a running Ranger... Bronco II or Explorer with a 4.0L m5od and swap it in yours. A 5.0L Explorer can also be done.

To have that done at a shop is gonna be speedy.

Welcome to Bronco Corral...

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this sort of thing, but I'm kind of lost.

I just got gifted my Mom's 89 Ford Bronco II. I grew up in this truck and lots of great memories.

However, she's in pretty bad shape. My Mom now has Parkinsons and a few other problems so she doesn't drive much anymore.

The Bronco II, her baby, now turned over I believe for the second time, so I think she's got about 200,000+ miles on her now. I took it to a mechanic where I live and he looked at it. I was told the engine and possibly the transmission needs to be pulled/dropped. It needs at least 3 freeze plugs. Unfortunately he is unable to do this type of work and his recommedations don't either. She leaks everywhere (antifreeze, oil and God know what else lol). She starts (only with starting fluid), engine idles fine, but smokes badly. No power when pressing the accelerator and it dies after trying. I did change the oil and the fuel filter on her, but as far as other service, none for several years.

I live near San Bernardino, but if I have to hook the girl up and travel, that's fine too.
I recommend getting a new short block. Do not throw money at this motor hoping for a quick fix. The trannies in the 89-90 models are pretty darn stout. I doubt it needs replacing so just a new clutch kit and you're ready for another 200K miles.

Ocd_Fabrication

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
Suspension Style
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

Hey @Moms89 ! I might be a little out of the way for you but depending on the extent of your repair might be worth the transport up north. If not, I do know some very well reputable shops in Southern California area that specialize in classic fords and broncos specific. Let me know If you would like some help getting your bronco looked at!

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
Hey @Moms89 ! I might be a little out of the way for you but depending on the extent of your repair might be worth the transport up north. If not, I do know some very well reputable shops in Southern California area that specialize in classic fords and broncos specific. Let me know If you would like some help getting your bronco looked at!
[/QUOTE
Ocd Fab, where in SoCal are these shops?