•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Overheating 85 Bronco 2

85 Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Hi I need some help on an issue with my Bronco 2. My mechanic repaired and fixed the a/c system and it caused it to start to overheat then he put a new radiator ( new but has been sitting around the shop ) and still overheats. the fluid in the radiator is not bubbling up like is the usual sign of a blown head gasket but maybe it's not bubbling up because it's a thicker radiator I'm not sure. There is no fan shroud on this truck I ordered one in ( since the mechanic said that this is worth trying to start with) but they haven't worked on it since the part came in most of the shop has had covid all last week. He said the fan is working like it should and it shouldn't be the fan they also recently changed the thermestat switch. Does it sound like its a blown head gasket? Why else would it be overheating? The heat gauge goes up pretty quick even if you don't stop at red lights or anything.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Does it only overheat with the AC on? Were all the parts there for your AC or did the mechanic add parts? Specifically the condenser?
Did it over heat before or after the new thermostat?
There are multiple way to check for a blown head gasket, the mechanic should have no trouble determining if the head gasket is blown.

85 Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Does it only overheat with the AC on? Were all the parts there for your AC or did the mechanic add parts? Specifically the condenser?
There are multiple way to check for a blown head gasket, the mechanic should have no trouble determining if the head gasket is blown.
Its a blown head gasket. I think he was telling me slow so not an all at once thing if you know what I mean . He should have changed the radiator 1st before doing the A/c. His guy at the desk said the old radiator clogged and it overheated while they were working on the ac repair.

85 Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
He is saying that it was probably blown somewhat before but I had the heads shaved a few years ago and it was driving cool cool until all at once now.

85 Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
This recent engine drove amzing befrore this massive pickup. How would you go about finding an engine I hear some people like my last engine get one used from guys that do a good job testing them in trucks that are driveable or they run it. if it comes to it I'd need to compare which is best performance now fuel injection or updated modernized holly carb that are supposed to be real good.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I don't know. My plan was to eventually get one from a rebuilder but I keep reading bad things about engine/trans rebuild companies. Now I think that if I have the time the best approach is to find a local rebuild shop and pull the engine and take it to them.
There's a youtube video of a guy putting a FI kit on a carbed BII. They seem be impressed with the results.

85 Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
I don't know. My plan was to eventually get one from a rebuilder but I keep reading bad things about engine/trans rebuild companies. Now I think that if I have the time the best approach is to find a local rebuild shop and pull the engine and take it to them.
There's a youtube video of a guy putting a FI kit on a carbed BII. They seem be impressed with the results.
Interesting about the you tube video will look into it. Would you ever consider finding an engine that seems to be in decent shape even though old but has good pressure etc. and then installing it and then later down the line possibly taking it out and having it rebuilt if it needs it?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Interesting about the you tube video will look into it. Would you ever consider finding an engine that seems to be in decent shape even though old but has good pressure etc. and then installing it and then later down the line possibly taking it out and having it rebuilt if it needs it?
Maybe, but finding a good 30 year old engine is going to be a real crap shoot. OTOH, you don't have much to lose except time and gaskets, oil, etc to put it and try it. As long as the heads aren't cracked even a garage re-ring and bearing job, plus oil pump and timing set will probably get you a bunch of miles.