•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

parking brake arrangement of cables

tdwaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have bought 3 new cables and ready to restore e brake. My 84 BII has a triangular bracket that 2 rear cables attach to. Front cable is firmly attached to non adjustable LS rear cable.

What I do not understand is whether the triangular bracket is supposed to be held in positon with springs? It looks like front cable pull on LS cable and engages Left lever, as triangular bracket begins to move perhaps that allows the RS lever in drum to rotate?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I am not sure if it is the same in the 84 as later models.

I've had a 88, 89 and now 87 and all had the same. There is a spring in that area but it seems more there to keep some minor tension on the cables to keep it from sagging down when loose and may to keep cable from unhooking.

There should be two metal pieces. The left side cable should go thru the one (the bigger bracket) and connect to a second smaller bracket that is attached to the front cable. The right side cable has a bolt end that goes into the bigger bracket. That bolt end is one of the adjustments. The other adjustment is on the front cable.

The larger bracket equalizes force to both rear brakes. The bolt end of the right side cable actually affects tension that both cables. That is the only one I ever messed with. I never had a front cable problem, just the rear ones.