•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Pics of bronco 2 without lift but bigger tires?

Laceyshanell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Anyone have a bronco 2 that isn’t lifted but just has bigger tires and wider wheels? Thinking about waiting on the lift and just doing tires/wheels for now. Wanting to see some of how they look. If you have any pics please post the tire/wheel specs as well!

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
Howdy! I have an '89 with some decent rubber (at least I like to think so). Stock springs and more-than-flat leaf springs.

Tires: BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 -- 235/75r15 (approximately 29" tall and 9.3" wide).

Wheels: Pro Comp 51 Series Rock Crawler -- 15x8" with negative 3.75" backspacing.

Pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mpeIiurQHgCuihvOImklKE25uJ6Xv4MJ

The fronts just barely rub on the radius arms at full lock, but the turning radius is so tight I hardly ever need to go full lock in either direction. The rears can hit the lip on the upper area of the inside of the fender arch, but only when going over really tall bumps or steep dips (or not as tall/steep but higher speed) and/or if I have multiple passengers. I'd say it rubs very rarely and could likely be fixed by rolling the fenders (they have a good half inch or so lip that sticks out perpendicular to the fender).
If you're gonna do 235/75r15s without rolling the fenders, I'd recommend 7" wide wheels or 8" wide wheels with a less aggressive backspacing, but keep in mind the higher the backspacing (closer to or above zero) the more it will rub on the radius arms because it will pull the tires in towards the axle.
As for driveability... It hasn't changed much. It rode like a train on rails before and it rides like a train on rails now :icon-rofl: (between you and me that might be because of the $20 shocks from AutoZone).

-- Here's some of my hooplah that's not as relevant and has my... opinions ( :gasp: have to be careful nowadays having opinions):
My personal opinion of the tire and wheel size is that they help fill the wheel well and widen the stance, but a slight lift and 31" or 32" tires would look more better. Just be careful lifting a BII because the center of gravity is high as is, so you also want to have a wider stance alongside the lift. If you're gonna go for a lift, I'd say either go with a complete suspension system or a simple body lift. A body lift will keep the majority of the vehicle's weight at the same height relative to the axles, keeping the center of gravity at a closer-to-stock point. A "half-ass" suspension lift (as I like to call them), with blocks for the rear and drop brackets for the radius arms and drop brackets for the stock axle pivot brackets, will raise your center of gravity (because it lifts everything supported by the suspension, not just the body) and won't really increase your ability to "flex out" compared to stock height. Think about it, your entire suspension is essentially stock, except you installed spacers in between the axles and upper drivetrain/body. I think these type of partial suspension lifts are alright for a unibody chassis (chassis and frame are integrated) because you can't really do a body lift; but for a RBV like the Bronco II, which has a body-on-frame structure, it's not a good choice. A suspension system (new coils, leaves, radius arms, axle pivot brackets, etc) results in an entirely new suspension setup and it will yield the expected benefits.

jbby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I just did an upgrade on my 1990 B2. I had 27’s and went up to 30’s. We did have to do a little trimming in the rear wheel well in order to prevent the tire from rubbing when I would hit dips/bumps. But other then that they are great! 15 inch wheels and general grabbers are 30x10.5

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
What gear ratio are you running?

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
I just did an upgrade on my 1990 B2. I had 27’s and went up to 30’s. We did have to do a little trimming in the rear wheel well in order to prevent the tire from rubbing when I would hit dips/bumps. But other then that they are great! 15 inch wheels and general grabbers are 30x10.5
Damn that's a good looking BII. Fill out the wheel wells really nice. How does she ride with the grabbers?

jbby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Damn that's a good looking BII. Fill out the wheel wells really nice. How does she ride with the grabbers?
Thank you!! The ride is great, way smoother with these tires and they aren’t loud either.