•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Poly pivot bushings, which ones?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
i need to replace my pivot bushings before i go get a front end allignment, and ive seen some with the sleeves and some without. any ideas on which would be the easiest to install in the driveway? links would be helpful. are they just press out press in like ball joints? can i rent a tool to do em? im having my house remodeled and we are staying at my girls house and i basically just have sockets, wrenches, hammers, crap like that which i always keep in my rig

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
i need to replace my pivot bushings before i go get a front end allignment, and ive seen some with the sleeves and some without. any ideas on which would be the easiest to install in the driveway? links would be helpful. are they just press out press in like ball joints? can i rent a tool to do em? im having my house remodeled and we are staying at my girls house and i basically just have sockets, wrenches, hammers, crap like that which i always keep in my rig
i got stock replacement one's with sleeves, i rented a ball joint press tool from auto zone, it was pretty easy, i'd say its easier to do that with the ball joint press tool then trying to get the rubber out of the sleeve

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I used the sleeveless ones.

Getting the rubber out is only a matter of running a 1.5" hole saw through it, followed by burning whatever rubber remains out with a propane torch (takes maybe 5-10 minutes).

The new bushings then just slip right into the existing sleeve.

gaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
insertable vs. sleeved replacement

"The_Dealer",

I prefer the type that fit into the Ford sleeve, getting the sleeves out is a PITA (personal opinion). Once I have upgraded to the "insertable" type changing them out is super simple.

Here is a link to James Duff's bushings, 3rd product from the top:

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/bodylifts.html

Next is Energy Suspensions sleeved type but you will note they have an illustration near the bottom of the page with the insertable type:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Ford+Bronco+II+4WD+1985

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Getting the rubber out is only a matter of running a 1.5" hole saw through it, followed by burning whatever rubber remains out with a propane torch (takes maybe 5-10 minutes).
Yes, but please do this outside and wear a mask. Those nasty rubber fumes will get you sick real quick. :icon_thumby:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
yeah i helped a buddy do lca bushings on his dodge. we drilled holes all the way around it then burnt the rest...like a huge burnout for your lca lol