•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

"Project BARB" 1986 bronco 2

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Built not bought, all the work this far has been between my 17th-18th birthdays.. With harbor freight tools. My plan for this rig is to restomod it and make it the most kick ass SUV on the road. My wants and needs list still exceeds a full sheet of paper and my college budget makes it so my only girlfriend for awhile in fact is BARB my rig. Changes happen almost weekly this this rig with larger ones postponed to the warmer months. I'll keep up the progression pictures and if anyone has anyone questions about Barb I'll answer them.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
looks great so far!!

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418854794.048626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418854818.105829.jpg

Full LED light swap, tail lamps, side markers, and turn signals. They make a huge difference, I highly recommend them. Getting a 40" LED light bar on the 25th for the front bumper... Stoked

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420253247.246757.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420253263.575226.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420253278.289519.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420253291.517525.jpg got a bronco2 center console from the junkyard and put a switch panel in for my light bar and other accessories. Mounted the 40" bar on the hood and it doesn't look too bad

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looking good. I really like the bumpers!

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Where did you get your led bulbs from? I want to do the same the ones local are very high $. Really haven't researched it too much yet. In the middle of a chop so put it on the back burner

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I went on slyvania.com and found the part number for the bulb in the turn signal. After i got that i typed that number into Amazon and found LED bulbs for not too much. It was about 30 bucks for all of the lights except for the reverse lights. Also electrical load resisters are needed for the LED's. I just researched what was required for the LED's, then i as well typed that part number into Amazon. In one of the rear view pictures above i compared the old to the new and it makes a huge difference.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I see more and more of those 40" LED bars. Where did you get it and what did it cost?

I really have to wonder if they'll actually throw light as far as a 150W traditional off-road light. I know LED's have bright bulbs, but how far will the light actually travel?

3rd Petal

Reaction score
I see more and more of those 40" LED bars. Where did you get it and what did it cost?

I really have to wonder if they'll actually throw light as far as a 150W traditional off-road light. I know LED's have bright bulbs, but how far will the light actually travel?
They don't, my old KC lights will throw light way further out there. But the LED light bar I have has the uncanny ability to make the entire immediate area around you as bright as daylight, much better than "old" halogen style lights do. And they draw like 1/10th of the power

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6

I got the Light Bar off of Amazon for 130 bucks, but before buying such a surprisingly cheap Light Bar i read all of the product reviews to see what others have to say about it. Turns out a few of the reviews say it wasn't waterproof. A few of them said they waterproofed it themselves, so i took it apart and put silicone gasket maker around the lens. I actually did a pretty good job. This light bar does throw a ton of light. My particular light bar is broken up into fourths. The two center sections have smaller cones which makes them spot lights and the two outside sections have bigger cones which makes them floods. My buddies light bar is 80%spot light so it throws a lot of light straight ahead.

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Lake Michigan dumped more than a foot of snow on us in less than a day... so my buddy and i took the trails. 98 XJ with a 4.5 inch Zone lift on 31x10.5 Wrangler Duratrac's. 86 Bronco 2 with a 3 inch James Duff Stage 1 lift on 31x10.5 General Grabber AT2's. I'm so impressed with how well the bronco preformed in the frozen tundra. I wish we could have taken more pictures and videos but with wind chill it was less than -20 degrees outside. :shok:

Attachments

Last edited:

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
10/16/15 Update

It been awhile but...
I've been busy working away on this OBS RBV POS 1986 Bronco 2.

This past May my fm146 blew up again after 3 prior doctors appointments at the local transmission shop. I had done enough reading online and eventually early august i ended up buying a 1993 explorer to harvest donor parts for. But ... between May and August i worked on my crippled horse and got some shit done.

-I insulated the hell out of my truck. My rear quarter panel was split away from floor, from the right side wheel well back to the tail light. So it was an 18inch or so split which was right above my 31" all terrains which made for a mess. But anyways i pulled out all my interior, sprayed the floor black with bed liner, and then i used the combined force of loctite outdoor adhesive, silicone seal, JB Weld, and Bathroom Caulking to seal the split between the body panels. I then found some real thick old pool personal foam rafts that were from an old lake house. I cut these up with a K-Bar and stuffed the foam pieces into the body panels mostly in the back. Then i cut and used spray adhesive to attach foam aluminum sheets to every surface that i could stick it to. I gave all my interior panels a temporary coat of black over the 80's red plastic.
-I went to the junk yard and pulled an aftermarket sunroof off of a grand prix for 55 dollars. Saw zaw in hand and with the cut once measure once mentality i chopped a big ol hole in my roof. Dropped in my power sunroof after running a bead of silicone seal(it doesn't leak). I would sit in my broken truck and just open and close my new sunroof. Also my roof was unattached from inside so it would make all kinds of sheet metal noise when just driving around so i went in there and caulked and stuffed foam wedges between the roof supports and the roof.
-I did metal fab and i fixed up some of the issues with my custom made bumpers. I chopped up the rear bumper brackets and pulled in my rear bumper 2 inchs, made some custom brackets which tightened up any play in the attachments. Then for my front bumper i chopped up the grill guard that i have because it was pretty damaged and bolted to the front of my bumper which i didnt like. I did some pretty cool custom work and attached it to the frame behind my front bumper, so it fits real tight to my grill and its sturdy. It looks awesome.

Bought this 1993 4 door, auto transfercase, manual hubs,explorer for 500 dollars running and ripping. Its a rusty SOB but the owners had it serviced at the dealership every 10k with 180 on the 4.0. The m4od had just been serviced with all brand new seals and parts... perfect donor truck.. After beating it to hell for a couple of days i tore into the explorer and pulled my first engine and transmission by my 19 year old self in the drive way with 2 jack stands and a floor jack. I stripped everything i needed off that thing in about 5 days.
Anyways the m4od is attached up to my 2.9, in the meantime i am going to go over the entire 4.0 while its out of the truck and do her up all real nice, maybe a ford blue. But then drop her back reuniting with the m4od. Until then my 2.9 with 108k on it leaks oil, burns a little bit of coolant, has dual manifold gasket leaks, has an often idling issue where it bogs itself down and chuggs then comes back to an idle. Oh and i forgot to mention how the m4od doesnt fit perfect in the bronco 2, it requires a automatic transfer case,transmission mounts relocated and two new driveshafts. So right now im running 2wd with no front driveshaft and my maunual transfer case is locked in 2wd with no shifter.

I'll put up some pictures of all the above here soon

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I gotta go out and take some pictures of the shit you guys wanna see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Also anyone that reads this, my 2.9 has manifold gasket leaks on both sides and leaks some oil outta most of the gaskets. But it's developed an issue of bogg'n itself down with gas most time it comes back to an idle. You can hear it especially with the exhaust leaks but it starts choking itself with gas (sometimes shutting off) and then it regains itself and come back to the normal idle speed. Driving in the city becomes a pain when you stop at every light and in the 40 seconds you're sitting there it idle just fine, then you hear it slowly start to chug... Low Rpms, a little wobble to the engine... 10-20 seconds later it pulls itself back up to idle. Anyone have any idea on what that problem is or knows the one part fix for it?

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
time to start digging into the 4l