•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Pulling one!

bowtie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Pulling my first 2.9 out of a Bronco 2. Where are the lift brackets? What do you guys use for attachment to the chain ends? Ive been a long time Chevy man, but I like the Bronco a lot. Very fun vehicle to drive.
Thank

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I don't know how safe this is, but seeing as my 2.9 didn't have lift brackets I wrapped a small section of chain thru the plenium (sp?)*the thing that says 2.9 Fuel Injection* and lifted it out with that.. Slowly and carefully making sure it was not hung up on anything.

Still runs. Must not be too bad on it.

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Vehicle
Ford
Im not sure what the 2.9s look like out of the truck. But i know on the AMC V-8s i always use the studs in the heads. they have studs that stick out of the front of the heads and tapped holes in the back of the heads. the studs are for the powersterring pump etc. if u take a chain run it through the stud and put a nut on the end. And in the back take a bolt run it through the chain put the bolt in the tapped hole snug it up dont go crazy tight. I always do one chain on either side of the motor then u have four points of attachment. Maybe im wrong though i dont know if the 2.9s have studs in the front or back. Good luck. Oh and if this does work and u use this way to put the motor back in remember to have more chain towards the back of the motor so u have the angle that the motor will sit in the truck at.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
I bolt chains to the ends of the heads and use an engine balancer. - Which is basically what Cherrybomb said, but there's no studs.

Pete

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
I don't know how safe this is, but seeing as my 2.9 didn't have lift brackets I wrapped a small section of chain thru the plenium (sp?)*the thing that says 2.9 Fuel Injection* and lifted it out with that.. Slowly and carefully making sure it was not hung up on anything...
That's what I did...but that motor is a spare so wasn't as worried about it. The holes in the ends of the heads are not very big but should work as said by Psycopete. The engine balancer thing is a big help, but not required.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
i took the lift hoops off an 80's 2.9l,they bolt to the top of the exhaust port on the head

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Some engines still have the attatchment points and some don't, if they don't we run the chains through the exhaust manifolds and we've never had a problem.