•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Question 1: 4.0 Swap

ottoparts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I've been doing some research and reading on swapping in a 4.0. However I cannot find concrete info on what year of explorer is just a engine harness/PCM swap versus a engine harness/PCM/dash wiring. I've acquired a 94 explorer. Anyone use a 94 for their conversion?
Thanks

ottoparts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Thank you Uncle Gump. This has plenty of links for me to go through.

GTme94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/7
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I'm in the process of a 4.0L swap. I'm using an '87 dash/harness and a '93 Ranger engine/harness. I haven't gone thru that particular write up but I found all the Ford wiring diagrams and have gone thru wire by wire. So far all there have been all the required corresponding wires needed but now I have a lot of soldering to do to join them. The '93 had a white, big round plug that I labeled all the wires from, the B2 dash harness has multiple connectors with corresponding circuits. My swap is more complicated since the B2 is an 84 and it didn't have enough required wires to do the swap "easily". Luckily I had the '87 B2 donor so I swapped the entire dash/harness, underhood harness and rear body harness to make it easier with electric fuel pump and such.

ottoparts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I'm in the process of a 4.0L swap. I'm using an '87 dash/harness and a '93 Ranger engine/harness. I haven't gone thru that particular write up but I found all the Ford wiring diagrams and have gone thru wire by wire. So far all there have been all the required corresponding wires needed but now I have a lot of soldering to do to join them. The '93 had a white, big round plug that I labeled all the wires from, the B2 dash harness has multiple connectors with corresponding circuits. My swap is more complicated since the B2 is an 84 and it didn't have enough required wires to do the swap "easily". Luckily I had the '87 B2 donor so I swapped the entire dash/harness, underhood harness and rear body harness to make it easier with electric fuel pump and such.
Where did you acquire the wiring diagrams?
Thanks

GTme94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/7
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I found EVTM (Electric and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals) from an online auto books seller. I unfortunately don't recall their name at this time but it was about 25 dollars for each model year.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
I know you asked for concrete evidence, but I'ma give you what I understand about it (definitely not concrete). I've never done a 4.0 swap though. In 96 every car switched to OBDII (EEC-V for Ford) diagnostics system. Prior to that Ford used EEC-IV (OBDI). This causes issues because it requires you to swap basically everything from the Explorer. In 1998 (I think, again, not concrete) Ford put PATS (passive anti-theft system) into the explorer. This causes a whole metric fuckton of issues for people trying to do a 4.0 swap. Wiring galore and all that jazz. Basically, from what I understand, a 1995 and older explorer should work, but the issue with a 95 is it has a different dashboard and cluster than the 91-94. I can imagine this would cause some issues. If I was gonna do it (hopefully will one day), I'd get a 91-94 explorer and swap the engine, keep the BII dash, swap in the Explorer cluster and ECU. Do whatever wiring I gotta do and call it a day.