•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Questions for ones who have done 4.0L swap

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
First of all, I have searched through the forums and can't find any help towards my questions.

O.k. I have placed the 4.0L engine from a 1994 Explorer into my 1988 Bronco II this weekend. I am in the process of getting everything wired up and have a couple of questions. I think I have the wiring process down to get the motor to start so my questions lie in the power windows and door locks as well as the guages. Regarding the guages, I noticed in my manual that the Bronco II has a voltage regulator that feeds power to the temp., oil, etc. guages. The explorer does not. It has separate wires feeding to each guage after going through the fuse box. My question is how to I wire this to make it work? Can I put one hot wire from the explorer harness to the Bronco II voltage regulator and get them to power or won't that work?

My second question is the electric windows and door locks. I have compared both manuals side by side but still don't see how I am to wire my existing harness into the explorer harness. The bronco II harnesses run up the fenders and exit near the front of the vehicle where they connect with the main harness. Do I have to splice these wires into the explorer harness somewhere? There are like 6 or more wires that control the windows and locks. I am hoping this is easier to do than what I am making it out to be.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Ok, the guage wiring does not go through the fuse box.

For the oil pressure and oil level sensor the wires come off the engine on a seperate harness that runs to the drivers side inner fender with two weatherpak connectors, one black the other grey and they are "side by side" in the harness.

The ONLY "guage" that doesn't run through that connector is the coolant temp sensor wire that runs through the main engine harness connectors over NEAR the underhood
power distribution box and back across the engine compartment wiht the harness that mounts to the radiator support.

Don't worry about the Instrument voltage regulator, that wiring is off the
interior fuse box and up to the instrument cluster, so that wiring is already
there.

as for the power window wiring, The ONLY thing you need to do is take the fat power wire from the power window fuse in the underhood power distribution box and splice it to the
heavy wire that feeds power to the power window circuit...

That should be a fuseable link that connects to the window harness
(somewhere near the washer reservoir?)
so you leave the exsisting, original '88 power window
harness in place and only change it's power source.

AD

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
O.k., so would I wire the door lock switch wire to the fuse in the power distribution box as well? I looked at the manual again and the Explorer window/door lock fuse is number 6.

Bear with me on this one.... I am slightly confused about wiring the guages. On the bronco II harness I am assuming the wiring I need to connect to is coming out on the drivers side firewall. Since there is a voltage regulator that connects these wires wouldn't that mean that there is just one plug exiting the firewall for all the guages? If that is the case, do I have to splice the temp. wire and oil wires together to power the guages? FYI - I am more concerned about the temp. guage. My oil guage in my Bronco II is just a dummy light. I don't have the guage that reads oil pressure. I would like to add an aftermarket one eventually.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
On the instrument voltage regulator, No you have it completely wrong.

The IVR feeds power to the instrument cluster inside the dash, there still must be seperate signal wires to each guage.
What you aren't understanding is that the IVR is on the Positive side of the guage while the signal wire is the GROUND side of the circuit.

Trust me there are sepeate wires for each guage (or idiot lamp as the case may be)

And on the power door locks?
Sorry, I was thinking power door locks and typing power windows.

The power locks on the Explorer run off of a Black/white stripe wire, as you say, fuse 6 in the distribution box.

In the 1986 it runs off of fuse link "P" (at starter motor relay)
and the power wire itself, downstream of the fuseable link, is
also black/white like the power windows, thus my original
confusion (in addition to running from memory)

AD

Last edited:

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the help. I looked at the manual again and see what you are talking about for the voltage regulator. Those things are confusing!

Since your a pro at this stuff, could you tell me if you used your existing wiring harness for the headlights and turn signals? I took my Bronco II's out and plugged in the lights off of the explorer harness. Now that I am looking at it again I am wondering if I should have done that because the door window/lock switch plugged into the existing Bronco II harness. Since I removed it I have those connectors hanging on the insides of the fenders by the headlights. Now I am trying to incorporate how I am going to get them wired so they work. I am hoping I can splice them into the Explorers harness.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Yes, I used the exsisting headlight harness.

That's where you ran into problems because on the explorer the
P/W, Door Locks, etc never goes under the hood but instead
goes through an accordion boot directly from the dash to the doors.

AD

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
O.k., I got the wiring harness put back together for the door locks/window switches. I understand what to do from there but have run into another issue. I am told to use the Explorer fuel inertia switch. I have mounted it in my Bronco II but can not find where the pink/black wire goes to. I have searched the fuel section in my EVTM book and the chiltons diagrams and do not even see that switch wire color listed in there. Could someone please tell me where that wire is supossed to go?

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I re used my fuel switch on my swap. Mine was a 89 BII with a 93 explorer motor.