•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Random starting issue 1990 bronco2 2.9l

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Random starting issue. One day starts fine then without any reason I can see it won't start. Sounds like no spark when starting. 4 days no start then starts fine and runs for 3 days then won't start again. Random had to be towed home from work twice! So I asked many people what they thought, I got just as many ideas as people. Bought a Ford code reader and a multi meter. Haven't had a chance to use them yet. Any suggestions or ideas about this problem? This is my only transportation. Help!

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
More info needed....does it crank at all? Cranks but no start? Cranking sound normal? Any popping/farting while cranking?

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
More info needed....does it crank at all? Cranks but no start? Cranking sound normal? Any popping/farting while cranking?
It cranks but does not get spark to turn over. It will start up and I drive it a few miles turn it off and then won't start. No darts or popping sounds. It will work then not start for two weeks. Then start get me there and back and not start. Sometimes for 4 days then start totally random. I've replaced ignition coil, starter solenoid, and battery so far

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
What was your method of checking for spark? When no spark is seen at the plug start working back till you get power where it's supposed to be. It sounds like a faulty/dirty connection to me. They can be difficult to locate.

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
What was your method of checking for spark? When no spark is seen at the plug start working back till you get power where it's supposed to be. It sounds like a faulty/dirty connection to me. They can be difficult to locate.
Well I think I used the wrong it just doesn't turn over. When it does start and run i can smell fresh gas. But that is random too.

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well I think I used the wrong it just doesn't turn over. When it does start and run i can smell fresh gas. But that is random too.
Starts with starting fluid then dies --fuel pump? Any ideas?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Fuel pump would be a good place to start....when you turn on the key can you hear the pump whine? It only does it for a few seconds. If it doesn't check the fuses and connections. If a pump change is in order I would suggest making an access door vice dropping the fuel tank. The wiring can be found by crawling under the vehicle and looking at the top front of the tank. A repair manual with wiring diagrams is essential. Good luck

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Oh wow! Not sure I'm up to this job alone will need a tutor or something. Thanks for your input and advice. It's gotta be running soon!

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No sound from fuel pump when I turn the key so....thanks