•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rear ABS light and brake light on constantly.....

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
When I got this B2 it had both lights on constantly.....my brother test drove and looked it over for me and said all dash lights were off/operating normally. The gent that I bought it from wanted his battery back and I had a spare so when he delivered it I yanked the battery and gave it back to him. When I installed my battery I noticed the light issue (he was long gone). After much reading, checking things over etc to no avail.....I was reading again today and ran across a thread on the full size Bronco forum about a ground wire off the battery that was specifically for the ABS....went out to the shop and looked at the battery.....lo and behold. A wire off the battery was just "hanging down". Looked around and found the other end, plugged it in, reset the light and all now works as advertised.

If I keep this up I'll have this thing all fixed up by spring.......anyone ever changed drive line cv joints? Can you replace just the dust boots? The joints have no play but the boots are completely gone.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Those CV Joint driveshafts are trash anyways. I spent the extra money and had U-Joint shafts built and got rid of the CV shafts on my 88 Bronco 2.

As for the ABS/Brake light issue, I used a piece of electrical tape over the ABS light, problem solved, no brake light issue though. Wouldn't waste my time on those nonsense RABS systems, more trouble than they're worth especially at 30+ years old.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
The cv's are in good shape except for the boots..........I took it to Inland Truck Parts ( a local driveline place) and they said they couldn't get boots. I asked if they could build me a u-joint shaft and they said NO. They recommended just buying a complete new driveline.

At some point you can get more money into a vehicle than what it's worth ( I did that once) and the cost of a new driveline is prohibitive. I did find some split boots that should show up today. Hopefully all will be well.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Got the boots put on and they work fine.....they were for an ATV axle.