•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

rear breaks need a lot

tdwaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
E brake cable is not hooked to either wheel. Levers and link parts for e brake are not in either hub. Does someone sell a full kit of springs, links, pins,pads, cylinder, everything under the drum? My parts are pretty rusted up. Adjusting screw and lever were lying loose in passenger side drum. I gather I have to pull the axle loose from differential to repack/replace rear wheel bearing?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I can't speak for the 84 model year specifically. I did a full rebuild of my rear brakes and had no problems finding the parts. I ended up mail ordering the parking brake cables, but I think I was able to source everything else at my local advance auto. Some had to be ordered but they got it the next day.

Along with the shoes there is a spring kit that has all those parts.

The only thing I didn't change was the actual self adjuster screws. In hindsight I should have done those too but didn't think about it will I was at the last step putting it together and did not want to make yet another trip for parts. I was a bit frustrated as I tore a boot on one of the new hydraulic cylinders when I slipped putting on a spring. I ended up having to run to the store for that and buying another cylinder since I couldn't get the boot alone in a timely fashion. The hydraulic cylinder wasn't that expensive, but repeated 30 mile round trips are to much.

In the work I replaced both of the rear parking brake cables. I didn't change the front one yet but have it. The front is moving freely, the problem was always the back ones.

tdwaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
parking brake lever

What I see in manual that I cant find at auto parts store or on line is the parking break lever that attaches to one shoe and cable attches to it? I am told it is the same in all 9" ford drum brakes, but parts stores do not index that way I guess. Realy do not want to go to a junk yard for 15$ part.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Okay so it isn't the cables you have a problem with. I see I misunderstood your original post.

I know the lever you talk about. Not sure where you get it. It isn't the sort of part I would have reliability concerns about if gotten from a salvage yard.

I believe the part you are looking for is the parking brake actuating arm. I can find some for the Bronco but not Bronco II

tdwaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
parking brake actuating arm

I saw one on ebay for 30$, one side only. Need parking brake on manual transmission. Hate to put the brakes back together without the arms. At junk yard I wonder if all ford 9" drums will have the same arm.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I understand. The engine on these things are pretty loose these days and parking in my driveway in first it will work its way down the driveway. I usually park in the flatter areas. When I need to get it to stay on really steep I put it in 4 low. Even with hubs unlocked, the gear ratio when I leave it in first is too much and it won't roll.

I do have working parking brake after all the parts. It doesn't hold particularly well anyway so while I will use it I will still put it into 4L when on steep hills.