•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Removing smog/air pump

Stitch6719

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Cologne V6
Suspension Style
4wd
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to remove all of the smog control from my truck, but I can't remember everything that I had to do. My Grandfather always took them off of the older vehicles, but sadly he is not around to ask for guidance anymore. I wish I had the foresight as a kid and made that man write a book. 46 years being a ford technician proved to be quite handy. The reason that I am wanting to remove it, is because my bypass valve has broken and I don't feel like replacing it. I will be tearing my motor down and rebuilding it and wont put the smog control back on it anyways. 1985 Bronco II 2.8 Automatic 4X4

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if you're pulling the motor anyway, do a v8 back in it. (think about going with another motor all together). that being said...
presuming you're doing the duraspark conversion while you have the motor out removing all the excess wires and vacuum lines and keeping the 2.8 for your truck, removing the smog is just a matter of pulling it out and plugging the hoses. I'm doing it on my 2.8 now, making block off plates for the cross over tube on the exhaust manifolds and removing the converter also, this way I'm not just plugging the hoses off. you'll need a shorter Alternator belt once you remove the pump. pretty simple.