•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

small diesel with big power?

KAOS_3.0

Reaction score
looking for suggestions as to what diesel would be best for what I have in mind. planning for a solid axel swap, but want to keep front weight down because the two things I want to do with the truck are prerunning/trails and towing. not building a mud truck or a rock crawler, just want some travel and good handling for hitting off road areas fast and occasionally getting a little air. hence why weight in the front is important to me.

the 4bt is everywhere, but it's pretty low tech and mega heavy. tdi's abound in the 4x4 scene, but they are a bit low in power for me.

anyone know anything about importing a euro duratorque?

also new to diesels, so I will need a little hand holding. I do know plenty about engine swapping though, and I'm ready to splice a harness and make mounts, swap dashes, install a fuel regulator if needed etc.

also, the truck will be a manual 4x4 with solid axles and coils front and back, plus airbags for towing etc...

I've been lurking, but before I invest a lot of time searching randomly, I'd like to get pointed in the best direction. there are just way to many variables and options with a project like this.

thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

KAOS_3.0

Reaction score
wow, 32 views and not a single reply. ok, so say I work out the engine myself, what are some numbers people are using for parallel 4 links front and back? how do we fight squat with a long arm setup singe the back hangs out over the rear axle like it does?

KAOS_3.0

Reaction score
ok, I'm getting confused, is there a way to add anti squat/ anti dive on a truck with solid axels front ad back and 4 links front and back? I'm imagining almost like a lifted t-bucket chassis. I know I've seen trucks set up like this, but I want the truck to work well on the road too (well, work well for a lifted truck).

jwiseman&barb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Jeep made a 2.8L 4 cylinder diesel that they put in some liberty's and wrangler's. It's got great power and torque numbers and gets exceptional gas mileage. I did a lot of research into diesels for my bronco 2 and the jeep diesel was the best choice. Or if you're like the rest of America and want to put the cummins badge on the side I do believe the make a smaller diesel called the b3.3 that puts out descent Numbers.