•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Spare Tire Fitment Question

Plummkrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hey everyone, so I was working on my spare tire carrier. Decided I wanted to paint it with some Rustolium bedliner spray paint stuff, turned out pretty cool actually. Anyway, when i removed the old spare, it had 3 or 4 indented wear marks in the tire. I am wondering if it has ever been removed since the tire still has the little nubbies on it.

I am replacing the spare with a 30x9.5 I realized that i had to space out the mounting plate part so it would fit correctly, but what i don't know is how tight should it be? I am assuming the rim should be tight against the mounting plate so you can tighten it down properly, but the tire. Should it be kinda snug against the pipes of the carrier or just barely touching or not at all? I am assuming touching a bit so it doesn't rattle around. How do your guys tires fit? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You want that tire as tight as possible, any wobbling around on that mount is not only going to drive you crazy with the rattling, but will cause that tire carrier to fail sooner than normal. Those tire carriers aren't exactly the greatest there have been many reports of them failing and taking parts of the vehicle body with it.

I just got new tires and I'm working on finding the mounting parts to mount the spare in the back of my B2 rather than on that exterior carrier I don't trust it at all.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Bill, your inside mount isn't there at all? I have another inside mount I bought and didn't need. But I moved my shop out of state and who knows where it is right now.

Plummkrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah i thought about making an inside mount that i could use when im going offroad and don't want the outside carrier bouncing around. I was thinking maybe something simple like a bar with a slot in it, then do a J-bolt through the rim and a plate and wing nut. Kinda like my old K5 was. I figure the swing arm carrier is ok for daily driving. i am only running a 30 so its not too big.

will.moyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I was able to piece together an over head safiri tire carrier thanks to my old hs shop class i like it a lot more than stock one and i too had the same problem since i run the 30x9.5

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Bill, your inside mount isn't there at all? I have another inside mount I bought and didn't need. But I moved my shop out of state and who knows where it is right now.
No, the only mount I have is the one on the outside, the POS aluminum swing away thing that's trying to take half the side of my B2 with it.

Plummkrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
so i have finished spacing the mounting plate out so that i can fit my 30x9.5 on there. The tire just barely touches the tube part of the carrier and the rim is tight. it doesn't seem to wiggle or bounce around now. DO you think i need to make the tire fit tighter against the tubes part or am I ok? I plan on taking it off and throwing it in the back when i go wheeling so that isn't an issue.

Jeff