•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Speedometer Cable can't find replacement part

mcmanoncampus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I have an 1985 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition w/ manual trans and 4x4. My speedometer needle is bouncing quite a bit while driving. I took out the original speedometer cable hoping to replace it but I can't seem to find the right part (OEM or aftermarket). My original cable has the ford part number of E37A9A820DA. This one measures around 64". All the speedometer cables with the correct ends are only 55" long. Has anyone has any luck replacing the speedometer cable? Or is there anything else I can do to repair the original cable to stop the needle bouncing so much?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
They do make cable lube...

With it out you should be able to work the lube down the cable.

I've also seen some cable lube tools...maybe try some googling

mcmanoncampus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Thanks for the response. Yes I just put some cable lube on it yesterday. Waiting for some more parts to come in before I take it for a test drive again. I'll post if it helped or not

mcmanoncampus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I pulled the cable out, cleaned and greased it. The speedometer needle still bounces some under 30 mph but tends to steady out above that. Overall, throwing some new grease on the cable did help some, but did not fully fix the problem.

The tires that are currently on my bronco ii are 235/75r15. Do you know if you have to get a different speedometer gear with that bigger than OEM tire size?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
The speedo gear wouldn't cause a bouncing issue... it could make your speedometer display incorrect speed though.