•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Starts rough at random times? Only when cold? HELP!

wilnutt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is my first post. I've been lurking and not finding exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll first describe the issue, then describe what I've tried to remedy the issue with no results.

We bought the vehicle from a guy who gave us information that hid the underlying problems. Within the week it's becoming more of a pain and less than a joy. The more I look at the engine bay, the more I see things that aren't right (The top port of the PVC valve is capped, the EGR vacuum solenoid is unplugged and the plug has been jumped with a jump wire to complete the circuit, there's a port under the EGR valve that is capped. It runs fine when it's warm, but will sometimes start like it has a racing cam and puke black soot and/or backfire under acceleration.

ISSUE:

WHEN IT WILL RUN GREAT: When we start the B2 it will shoot to 1,400-1,500 RPM for about 10-seconds, then it will idle down to around 900-1,000 with a little throttle movement and jumping (Sometimes none, sometimes 200-300 RPM), then I can throw it in to gear and we seem good to go.

WHEN IT WILL RUN HORRIBLY: When we start the B2 it will shoot to maybe 900 RPM and will jump from 600-900 RPM, like it has a nasty muscle car 3/4 cam. While idling sometimes the lights will flicker or it will completely cut out for half a second, revving it up will result in Black soot all along the wall. If we throw it in gear and try to take off, under mild to heavy acceleration it will backfire and run like crap. It will only get better once the vehicle is warm. Even then, ti's not 100%

WHAT I'VE TRIED

-Replacing IAC
-Replacing vacuum lines
-Replaced MAP sensor
-Check the FPR (No leaking fuel or vacuum leaks)

I also checked the ECT sensor today after it started right up and still cold, 50 degrees outside, set at 200k on my multimeter, I get an OHMS reading of 33.5. Does this seem right? I will be checking it again early in the morning when it's around 40 degrees, as my wife and I have a very strong belief that there's a correlation between temperature and how it's going to start (We can only hope there's a pattern and it isn't completely random)

I'm stuck on what to do next. My gut says it's something with the EGR system, the O2 sensor needs replaced, or the ECT sensor needs replaced.

Any help would be awesome!

Thank you all in advance for your help.

-Wilnutt

wilnutt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Update Testing:
ECT at 48 degrees this morning. 61.5k OHMS. STARTED LIKE CRAP
ECT at 75 degrees the evening. 14.8k OHMS. STARTED LIKE A CHAMP