•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Steering column clunk when going over bumps

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
So on my 88 BII I've noticed that when I am cruising down the road and I go over bumps, I can definitely feel a....clunk, I have no better way to describe it, in the column. The steering has some slop as well, which leads me to think it might be something like an inner/outer tie rod. I'm planning to do a lot of front end work on this truck anyway, but is there anything else I should check as a possible cause for this issue besides the usual suspects like tie rods, steering linkages etc. ? I'm wondering if this has something to do with the steering gear itself.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Radius arm bushings are a common cause of front end clunks, the cross-member the bushings fit into sometimes have enlarged holes due to wear or rust.

AgPete139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
I would lean more towards worn balljoints or TRE's, not the steering itself. I've had the castle nut (*sighs* yes, without the pin) unthread at the Pitman arm, and I've had worn TRE before, too. You will mostly get shaking at highway speeds and an unfirm feel at the wheel, not necessarily "clunks."

If the clunk does not occur while stopping, your brakes and calipers are fine. I would go through and check the radius arm bushings & nut tightness (if they haven't worn away to metal-metal), checking the wheel bearings by lifting the tire off of the ground and jiggling the tire at 12 & 6 o'clock, and checking your balljoints.

Good luck.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Thanks guys. I am getting a bit of a shimmy at highway speeds as well like you mentioned. I was already planning on doing balljoints and wheel bearings anyway but I'll make sure to check those radius arm bushings too.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Check the (rag joint) at the steering gear. Igot an 88 w/ a body lift and the person before me let it get bad, look for any tears in the rubber to eliminate that poissible issue.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Check the (rag joint) at the steering gear. Igot an 88 w/ a body lift and the person before me let it get bad, look for any tears in the rubber to eliminate that poissible issue.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it when I'm working on it today.

RICO9

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Vehicle
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
I had a very similar problem with my B2 a couple years ago and it turned out that the bolts holding the steering box to the frame had all come loose.

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Seems like the topic matches my question; does anyone know where to buy a NEW direct fit replacement rag-joint for the steering shaft for a Bronco II, specifically an 88'?