•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Strange noises coming from front end?

Johnny Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hey all, I'm new, and I'm not sure where this goes but I hope it's in the right place. If not, please help me so I'll know what to do in the future. I put it in the Axle section because that's what I've been told that it is, but I also saw that there is a dedicated Bronco II section so maybe this is better? I'm not sure.

I just got a 1989 Bronco II. Bone stock with the Mitsubishi FM-146 trans, BW 1350 electric shift, and Dana 28 front axle I believe, if I've done my research right. I love it. Best truck I've owned and cool to boot. But I'm having this weird issue. The electric 4x4 and electric low range work great, but at around 2000 rpm in any gear it makes this grinding noise up front. I've had a few people tell me that it sounds like the 4X4 keeps trying to kick in, but It's got me confused. I didn't check to see if it did it in four wheel drive also, though. It clearly sounds like it's coming from the front area of the truck, and it does it only at around up-shifting rpm @ around 2500-3000 ish, and in every gear. I can lug it in fourth and no noise, but when I get to shifting range in any gear, it makes a terrible grinding noise and I haven't the foggiest idea of what it could be. Has anyone encountered this or maybe something similar? It does it before I press the clutch or or anything. I guess I might just pull the front driveshaft to see if that will give me an indication of whether or not it is in the front axle.

I'm new to this forum and forums in general, I've never joined one and never posted or anything, just kinda lurked at some random car forums here and there. If this is in the wrong spot or anything, please let me know and I will fix it if I can figure out how.