•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Successful TFI relocation.

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Fellow Bronco II fans my 1988 which I've owned for the last 24 years died on me for the last time due to a overheated TFI. I just finished installing a McCully Racing MK3 TFI relocation kit. The kit comes with a new harness and heat sink. No wire splicing just plug the dummy TFI into your distributor. run the wire loom to the location you decide to mount the actual TFI module and heat sink. I mounted mine on the drivers side inner fender near the firewall as this was the only available space and was solid metal. Its more than far away form the engine heat. I installed a new Motorcraft TFI module form Advance auto parts and my Bronco II started right up and is running strong. Wow I am excited. Total cost harness $170.00 new Motorcraft TFI $60.00 = $230.00. Fairly expensive but after my Bronco II shut down in the middle of a major intersection and I had to have three policeman push me out of the way of traffic. $230.00 is a deal. Check out http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/ for there kit.

Bronco II TFI.jpg Bronco II TFI 2.jpg

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Very interesting. I've seen a few of the relocations done by hacking the wiring, but this seems like a better solution. How long are the wires for that harness? Maybe locating in the passenger compartment may be a good solution if the harness is long enough. Although in the summer if you don't have AC the dang cab becomes a nice warming oven HAHA!!!

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The relocation looks excellent, and so much easier to change the module when needed. Nice Job !

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Team I wanted to post some current info about this Tfi relocation. I had to add more cooling to the TFI module. Very hot summers here in Tennessee. I was able to obtain a factory TFI heat sink mount from a 1995 Ford Thunderbird. I like it as it has better access to the module in the event for servicing. I also added a Spal 4 inch heavy duty cooling fan. This helped a lot. Drove several times this summer with no issues. Below I attached a photo.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Team I wanted to post some current info about this Tfi relocation. I had to add more cooling to the TFI module. Very hot summers here in Tennessee. I was able to obtain a factory TFI heat sink mount from a 1995 Ford Thunderbird. I like it as it has better access to the module in the event for servicing. I also added a Spal 4 inch heavy duty cooling fan. This helped a lot. Drove several times this summer with no issues. Below I attached a photo.
Just curious why you went back to the Ford designed heat sink. Did you continue to cook TFI modules with the other heat sink that came in the kit? I also see you had the kit supplied heat and module mounted differently from the supplier recommendations.

I just acquired a Bronco II with a 2.9L and was planning to relocate the module before next summer. Was just looking up information and planned on acquiring parts from the bone yard when I saw this post.

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yes I later placed the heat sink under the supplied heat sink with fins exposed after the initial post. I did not like the lack of module access. Plus after driving on a hot day the heat sink would get hot enough to burn you fingers. I did not trust my Bronco II on a long drive. I like the factory TFI mount as it is more compact with better access to the module. Worked for Ford through the 90,s. Trust me I’ve played with this set up for the last couple of years. This setup with fan seems to work the best.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks for the reply...

The joys of TFI. I just know I want to relocate it... how I get there is is still in question. This plug and play option does look promising. Could DIY it cheaper with some junk yard parts for sure.

B2Bobby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Fellow Bronco II fans my 1988 which I've owned for the last 24 years died on me for the last time due to a overheated TFI. I just finished installing a McCully Racing MK3 TFI relocation kit. The kit comes with a new harness and heat sink. No wire splicing just plug the dummy TFI into your distributor. run the wire loom to the location you decide to mount the actual TFI module and heat sink. I mounted mine on the drivers side inner fender near the firewall as this was the only available space and was solid metal. Its more than far away form the engine heat. I installed a new Motorcraft TFI module form Advance auto parts and my Bronco II started right up and is running strong. Wow I am excited. Total cost harness $170.00 new Motorcraft TFI $60.00 = $230.00. Fairly expensive but after my Bronco II shut down in the middle of a major intersection and I had to have three policeman push me out of the way of traffic. $230.00 is a deal. Check out http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/ for there kit.

View attachment 14495 View attachment 14496
I just installed the same kit in the same location on my 1987 BII, my wifes daily driver. She says it runs like the day we bought it!!